Opinion on 1982 Yamaha Virago 750

akamor
This post is 4869 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all,

I have the option to buy a 1982 Yamaha Virago. The bike is currently not running and will need some work. Most likely just carburetor rebuild, but who knows, it could need more. I am new to this bike (my last yamaha was a 1980 XS400 which I loved), what is the availability of parts? Are they easy to come by? Are they relatively cheap?

This bike was made well before I was born. What was its reputation for reliabilty and quality?

Thanks,

Adam

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It is solid as a rock, mate.

Parts are still fairly easy as it's a popular bike.

Certainly pay less than a grand for a non-runner, probably around the 6-800 mark.

Just the ones you saw.

Viragoes depreciate to a certain level and then stay there.

1982 750 in good nick with 90,000 clocked is still valued at almost £2,000!!

Never known one to go particularly wrong and even the issues I have heard about are easy and fairly cheap to fix.

it's just that a number of mates and work collegues went for the low down ride and :unsure: custom looks,

but all of the chrome turned orange over a short period,

maybe some of them neglected them ,but not all of them.yet they all turned orange.

Never heard of this Orange thing.

Must just be where you live.

Plenty of Viragos round our way. I can count over 20 riders that I know.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the orange chrome refers to the change in colour to the yellowing of the chrome exhaust pipe where it leaves the engine due to heat. The exhausts on my '97 Virago and on my wifes 2010 XVS have a bit of colouring but only right at the engine. The rest of the exhaust and all the engine chrome is fine. Not a big thing in my mind.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online