Stater motor issues DT125RE

Guest MaD.VeZ
This post is 5145 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Guest MaD.VeZ

The starter motor is making the nasty clicking noise and not turning the engine at all, also when the start button is pushed after maybe 1-2 seconds of clicking the neutral and 2-stroke warning lights go out and the clicking stops.

Any help ideas to what is causing this would be really appreciated

Vez.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Guest MaD.VeZ

Think it was a sticky motor, hit it with a big hammer, and it seems to be ok now. I now know i hate electric starters. 

Must admit my first thought was electrical, i will check the electrics over when i get chance.

Sounds like it was the solonide on the starter.

Hard to beet the kicker for starting

Guest MaD.VeZ

Bumping a bike in-front of 20-30 college girls in the pouring rain is not my idea of looking cool <_<  a kick start will be added when i dig it out from the shed.

Bumping a bike in-front of 20-30 college girls in the pouring rain is not my idea of looking cool

Yes that would not be cool. cool.gif

Ya must have a huge shed----- you seem to have everything in there. biggrin.gif

Guest MaD.VeZ

Its only a 10'x8' shed. Been hoarding DTR spares since about 95-96 ebay wasn't about then so it was the best way to keep my bike running.

The Hammer, aka the fix it tool. Hitting things always seems to do the job but my first thought was a dodge battery.

Guest MaD.VeZ

I think you might be right about the battery, will soon find out when i fit the alarm today as i'm sure that will drain the battery under testing

I think you might be right about the battery, will soon find out when i fit the alarm today as i'm sure that will drain the battery under testing

If your battery is half dead the clicking on the starter will come back.

You need a full battery/power to the starter or else the solonide (on top of the starter) will not work and keep clicking till it burns out.

Im sure you'll find out about battery condition by the time alarm is fitted.

Good luck mate

Guest MaD.VeZ

Thanks mate.

Well the battery is fine running 12.4 volts even after the alarm went off about 20 times during installation.

At the minute im putting it down to either a bad connection or sticky motor, the starter motor is located at the bottom of the engine so it gets blasted with road grime and water alot, checked the connections and they are fine.

Still going to put a kick start on there for piece of mind, i just don't trust electric starts.

I sort of wish i had a kicker on my DT, although it was really reliable and didnt fail ever. The CCM on the other hand... Wouldnt mind a kicker on that! electrics are crap but kicking over a 650 could be a challenge, been bump starting it lately as my battery was fooked. Not fun. :mellow:

Guest MaD.VeZ

The problem returns,

I don't think its the battery, it has a good 12.4 volts until the click occurs then the volts are gone, i disconnect the relay and the volts are back.

First question, would i be right in thinking that the starter relay and solenoid are the same thing?

Second is it wise to bypass the relay and give the starter motor a direct feed from the battery so i can test the starter? Used to do this with forklifts when i worked on them, but i'm not sure its ok to do with my bike and don't want to cause any damage. :unsure:

Had to happen on a sunny day, bet you are all out enjoying it :(

Vez

Edit: Just read it may be the clutch switch causing it, damn thing, i knew it looked iffy when i saw it, it wasn't on my old RE.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online