dt125x super moto :- steering stiff ?

dougspoke
This post is 4926 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello peeps not sure whats wrong with my bike (do know a little about engines and basic stuff ) trying to get back into bikes recently, have a dt125 x s.m. and the steering seems quite stiff to turn, will turn fully lock to lock, however when riding its very noticeabe and almost weaves a bit, just does,nt feel right any advice ??? looked up problem in the haynes bible, might be headstock baerings suspect or just too tight believe bike has spent time outside , exposed to the elements (ie rain etc) has anyone else had simialar probs have,nt got much money to get a bike garage to fix or skill to fix myself ? wondered if bearings might free up with some use again/riding .need to ride bike couple of miles to mot soon, however don,t feel too safe on bike as is, unless bearings free themselves up a bit. any helpful advice appreciated,thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Didn't you read the 'newbie page' ?

you have to put a post up in the 'bloke page' first !

Kinsake

hi

sounds a classic case of over tight head bearings,loosen bolts on top yoke,centre and fork bolts,just under top yoke you will see a notched ring,tap that a little to undo it,try bike again,handlebars should move freely to both sides,ride bike and brake hard to see if you get a clunk from the head stock,if you do you may have loosened them too much,if it clunks and bearings are still tight they are probably u.s.after all that dont forget to tighten yoke back up.

cheers

mark.

thanks mark for the reply and advice , i,ve now got the bike mot,d, the steering bearings have free,d up a bit by themselves (without touching them mechanically, just sprayed wd40 liberally, not sure if oil got passed the seals but anyhow seems better, BUT when rode bike had serious handling issues, ridden 20 or 30 plus bikes and this one handles like /worse than a wonky shopping trolley...............has anyone else had handling issues with super moto bikes ?? i,ve also ridden number of dt,s and like them very much (but only this 1 dt super moto ) this bike was tram railing very alarmingly / concerningly worse than any bike i,ve had . please don,t misunderstand i like yamaha (the best trail bikes )however might start looking out for dt 125 re (full size wheels ) when funds allow, has anyone else had issues with dt125 x s.m. or any super moto , or s.m. conversion, was even thinking whether to convert to std wheels using sh parts, but not sure exactly whats different ? wheels / forks ? and poss swing arm ??????????? or might just keep if can buy dt125 re (as well) seems shame as good reliable engine,elec start,and looks smart

NOTE ;- not slagging off yamaha, just this 1 particular model/ series , i,ve never heard anything bad about super moto bikes ( in general),before i used and purchased this bike, i know they race s.m. 500 /600 cc, on tarmac and dirt and seen big cc 4 strokes blasting it on the roads locally ,but does anyone else have handling issues with these bikes ? (DT 125 S.m.) i,am just telling it the way i see it, maybe i,am just use to proper trail bikes and would have same probs if i rode tiny wheel scooter after riding as i have many decent trail/enduro and motocross bikes

thanks mark for the reply and advice , i,ve now got the bike mot,d, the steering bearings have free,d up a bit by themselves (without touching them mechanically, just sprayed wd40 liberally, not sure if oil got passed the seals but anyhow seems better, BUT when rode bike had serious handling issues, ridden 20 or 30 plus  bikes and this one handles like /worse than a wonky shopping trolley...............has anyone else had handling issues with super moto bikes ?? i,ve also ridden number of dt,s  and like them very much (but only this 1 dt super moto ) this bike was tram railing very alarmingly / concerningly worse than any bike i,ve had . please don,t misunderstand i like yamaha (the best trail bikes )however might start looking out for dt 125 re (full size wheels ) when funds allow, has anyone else had issues with dt125 x s.m. or any super moto , or s.m. conversion, was even thinking whether to convert to std wheels using sh parts, but not sure exactly whats different ?  wheels / forks ?  and poss swing arm ???????????  or might just keep if can buy dt125 re (as well) seems shame as good reliable engine,elec start,and looks smart

WD40 will wash away all the grease from your bearings, i suggest you get them re-packed before they start to rattle/wear.. 

NOTE ;- not slagging off yamaha,  just this 1 particular model/ series , i,ve never heard anything bad about super moto bikes ( in general),before i used and purchased this bike, i know they race s.m. 500 /600 cc, on tarmac and dirt and seen big cc 4 strokes blasting it on the roads locally ,but does anyone else have handling issues with these bikes ?    (DT 125 S.m.)    i,am just telling it the way i see it,     maybe i,am just use to proper trail bikes and would have same probs if i rode tiny wheel scooter after riding as i have many decent trail/enduro and motocross bikes

Not ridden a DTX myself, but i think you may have alignment issues if the handling is as bad as you suggest. Only speculation at best, as its hard to read your post.

Maybe ask this guy   :P

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online