Independent body armour

skinspoison
This post is 4924 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Introductions go along way on here ;).

+1

I'm assuming they wont work as good as a jacket with armour, but are they good as a little bit more protection on the front/back/kidney if worn underneath a jacket?

Or are they just gimmicky crap aimed at boy racers?

Any help at all is great

Kinda depends what you are wearing it for.... I have a similar setup I use for off-road. Much better than a jacket with armour as the amour doesn't move, it stays put and does the job you expect it to.

On a road spill, with a cheapo crappy jacket then it's just going to wear away, under leather it's going to provide great protection.

Most armour inside your jacket is cheap, and not great - but it kinda depends if you are going to fall off doesn't it ?

Horses and Courses is what comes to mind.

This kind of thing is great for pleasure riding, but not really practical for everyday use.

On the road, you will usually hit the tarmac. You want impact protection for that.

But then you will slide down the tarmac at whatever speed you spilled at.

You will want some kind of protective all-over covering that will withstand the grating. This is why we wear leather!!

Various materials and the time, in *SECONDS*, in which they wear through, while sliding at 30mph:

0.2 to 0.5 - Denim

0.6 - Some race gloves

1.0 to 1.8 - Most leather gloves

0.9 - Keprotec stretch material

1.0 - Poor Kevlar

1.3 - Two layers of waxed cotton

3.8 - 1.3mm thick cow hide

18 - Two layers of 1.3mm thick cowhide

55 - Three layers of 1.3mm thick cowhide

5.6 - Two layers of Kevlar plain weave

18 - Suede

20 - Boot leather (generally 2.2mm thick)

20.4 - Leather stretch panels

Sorry, I got another account on here, i forgot which username i had choosen (I usually choose the same-ish username and change a couple of the letters) Which is why i felt no need to introduce myself.

This kind of thing is great for pleasure riding, but not really practical for everyday use.

On the road, you will usually hit the tarmac. You want impact protection for that.

But then you will slide down the tarmac at whatever speed you spilled at.

You will want some kind of protective all-over covering that will withstand the grating. This is why we wear leather!!

Various materials and the time, in *SECONDS*, in which they wear through, while sliding at 30mph:

0.2 to 0.5 - Denim

0.6 - Some race gloves

1.0 to 1.8 - Most leather gloves

0.9 - Keprotec stretch material

1.0 - Poor Kevlar

1.3 - Two layers of waxed cotton

3.8 - 1.3mm thick cow hide

18 - Two layers of 1.3mm thick cowhide

55 - Three layers of 1.3mm thick cowhide

5.6 - Two layers of Kevlar plain weave

18 - Suede

20 - Boot leather (generally 2.2mm thick)

20.4 - Leather stretch panels

Wow thats really great information, i might consider one of these jackets with a 1.3mm cowhide jacket ontop, can never be too protected i guess.

In my experience, the padded leathers are padded right where you need them to be.

You only need the padding for that moment when you hit the deck and the padding covers those parts which touch down first.

Before that, you have the unavoidable problem of limbs being crushed between your bike and whatever hits you, whiplash, or other unavoidable issues.

But it's the scraping along the road that does the usual damage in most Offs.

I've had scrapes *through* the leather, ie the leather was not even scuffed, but the road surface scraped me through the material. It was only minor and you can bet that if I wasn't a leather fan, I'd have no skin left there.

Two more things to consider:

1/. At 40mph, a road slide will grate (yes, grate. Like a cheese grater does) flesh away at a depth of 1 inch per second. That's flesh, not just skin - That's muscle.

Ground off muscle does not grow back, really.... ever!!

Remember also that once you reach the hospital, they will have to scrub all that road crap out of your wounds. They usually do this with one of those nail-cleaning brushes (a nice surgical green-coloured one) and a lot of elbow-grease. If you're very lucky, you'll have a pretty young nurse hold your hand and stare into your eyes while they scrub your wounds more viciously than a soldier bulls his boots!!

2/. Someone I knew on another bike forum - Wouldn't call her a friend - came off her Fazer whilst stupidly wearing jeans. She knew the risks anyway, so I have no sympathy for her. She was knocked off by another vehicle, IIRC.

Her leg was what they call 'de-gloved'.

This is where the skin all over is simply pulled off, as if it were a glove. As far as I know, several years of living on painkillers later she is still unable to ride and I don't think she's even back to work yet.

In my experience, the padded leathers are padded right where you need them to be.

You only need the padding for that moment when you hit the deck and the padding covers those parts which touch down first.

Before that, you have the unavoidable problem of limbs being crushed between your bike and whatever hits you, whiplash, or other unavoidable issues.

But it's the scraping along the road that does the usual damage in most Offs.

I've had scrapes *through* the leather, ie the leather was not even scuffed, but the road surface scraped me through the material. It was only minor and you can bet that if I wasn't a leather fan, I'd have no skin left there.

Two more things to consider:

1/. At 40mph, a road slide will grate (yes, grate. Like a cheese grater does) flesh away at a depth of 1 inch per second. That's flesh, not just skin - That's muscle.

Ground off muscle does not grow back, really.... ever!!

Remember also that once you reach the hospital, they will have to scrub all that road crap out of your wounds. They usually do this with one of those nail-cleaning brushes (a nice surgical green-coloured one) and a lot of elbow-grease. If you're very lucky, you'll have a pretty young nurse hold your hand and stare into your eyes while they scrub your wounds more viciously than a soldier bulls his boots!!

2/. Someone I knew on another bike forum - Wouldn't call her a friend - came off her Fazer whilst stupidly wearing jeans. She knew the risks anyway, so I have no sympathy for her. She was knocked off by another vehicle, IIRC.

Her leg was what they call 'de-gloved'.

This is where the skin all over is simply pulled off, as if it were a glove. As far as I know, several years of living on painkillers later she is still unable to ride and I don't think she's even back to work yet.

Sounds like im wearing leather for ever now.

I'm gonna buy one of those body armour vests and a thick leather jacket to go on top.

As for my legs, i'm not quite sure yet, i've seen some textile trousers with kevlar technology and other stuff sewn in along with padding which seem useful.

It's essentially a trade-off.

That armour, plus a leather jacket will be too bulky to ride effectively and might make you more of a danger.

Kevlar is reasonably good, but can still fail, especially if the seams are not 100%.

The only kevlar worth the money is the expensive £600 stuff and perhaps Draggin' Jeans - I find them far too low-cut for comfort and my 'muffin-top area' would be mincemeat in an off.

Textiles are (or can be made) waterproof and are lightweight - easy for daily life and commuting, but can rip/melt in an off.

Leather is great against abraision, especially when armoured, and can be shower-proofed. Top quality second hand stuff can be had for very agreeable prices. But it's hot in Summer, cold in Winter and is also porous, so it will soak up rain. Get a set of waterproofs.

Despite the drawbacks, I still favour leather over and above all else.

Keep an eye out for end of season sales - I picked up two of "last season's" Frank Thomas armoured jackets (retailing at £180 and £190 respectively) for £30 each at the May-Day Hastings Run a couple of years back!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online