dtr 125

anley111
This post is 3944 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi ive just bort a dtr 125 on the road for my first bike, iwas wondering how i use the choke properly and how long u leave it on for? when i first kick the bike up its a bit smoky then after 5 minutes its ok. iz this normal? also wen i try to change into second gear it doesnt go uless u really really force it. any help would be great as this is my first bike. cheeers guys

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You lift the choke for on and push it back down for off.

When the smoke clears and the bike is warm you can take the choke off. And yes some smoke is normal as long as it isn't so thick the bike and everything for 20ft disappears  :P.

You lift the choke for on and push it back down for off.

When the smoke clears and the bike is warm you can take the choke off. And yes some smoke is normal as long as it isn't so thick the bike and everything for 20ft disappears  :P.

• 2 years later...

is there a rough time scale for how long to leave the choke on for? i think thats why mine isnt running right :-/ also what does it mean if the bike cuts out when you put it in first gear?? im still learning / struggling

In warm weather like this, mines probably on choke for about 10 seconds.

It should idle quite quickly at first, then start to bog down a bit, i.e.start to choke. That's when I take mine off.

Also if you drop it into gear with the sidestand down that'll kill the engine.