downpipes glowing red!

This post is 4957 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi everyone left my xt660z tenere idling for a few mins after a run was going to check the engine oil level and noticed the downpipes started Glowing Red! near the cyl head, is it normal? never noticed before bikes only done 1200 miles runs great otherwise

It is normal if you leave the bike on tick over, bikes run leaner these days and exhaust pipe are made from thinner wall tube,

mostly stainless steel so they due need air flow the keep cool, my beemer was the same. Its not good to keep them on tick over for too long.

cheers Tommy10bikes

You notice this more if you do it when it is dusk/dark

my big single honda does it even though it is dynojetted and fitted with a K&N filter

merv

What is this big single honda ya have Merv ?

no it is a bit more modern than that and more gutless, 03 plate Vigor 650 street scrambler, ideal for the lanes around our way

very flexible engine economical and not too heavy, bloody great topbox fitted (quick release) for shopping trips etc, I:E it is the second car. it now has a higher screen and renthal road bars, the motocross bars where too much like wrestling a bull by the horns and i was leaning on them too much giving me pins and needles in my hands

merv

mervinh-albums-mervin-picture841-dscf0590a.jpg

no it is a bit more modern than that and more gutless, 03 plate Vigor 650 street scrambler, ideal for the lanes around our way

very flexible engine economical and not too heavy, bloody great topbox fitted (quick release) for shopping trips etc, I:E it is the second car. it now has a higher screen and renthal road bars, the motocross bars where too much like wrestling a bull by the horns and i was leaning on them too much giving me pins and needles in my hands

merv

mervinh-albums-mervin-picture841-dscf0590a.jpg

Aye, indeed, me likes this v much !B)

They are not really popular so do not fetch big money secondhand, built by montesa from mainly Honda parts with Brembo brakes, I got that about 2 years a go now £1250 the guy hat it on ebay for £1500 reserve but it di not sell he offered it too me for £1300 is said £1200 he said £1250 job done, only 13000 miles full honda service history, It replaced this its slightly jaded older brother,a P reg SLR 70.000 on the clock that is virtually identical apart from bodywork

mervinh-albums-mervin-picture840-dscf0596a.jpg