removing scres from carb slide & Diaphragm Assembly

jmj166
This post is 4978 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok, i know this is normally a simple fix with a screw extractor. but what about when you cant get to it with a screw extractor.

i'm currently taking my carbs apart from my 81 XS400 and so far about 95% of the screws it it i've had to drill out and use a screw extractor to get out because their all stripped out.

I finally get to my carb slide to replace the slide needle with one that has adjustable grove things. but then as i try to take the top part thats hold the top down...they won't come out, i don't wanna just start poking down there with a drill cause i don't want to mess the diaphragm up and put me back 100 bucks ( 50 for each).

I've looked at the haynes manual and it isn't very helpful since it lists parts to take out that aren't there. I'd really hate to have to buy a new carb slide and diaphragm just because of two small screws.

so I was wondering if any one knew of any other way to remove screws or if i could soak the bottom area in something to help the screws to not be so stubborn. below is an image of the current hair pulling situation.

cimg2245.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

as always, much appreciation for any advice.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

any screws i think may be a pain i use plus gas its a very fine penetrating oil.

i putt some on every few hours and leave overnight for really stubborn ones.

chris

any screws i think may be a pain i use plus gas its a very fine penetrating oil.

i putt some on every few hours and leave overnight for really stubborn ones.

chris

by plus gas do you mean, like the 89 octane plus gas you get at a gas station, or a product called plus gas.

I forgot about using heat, but i'm not quite sure how i could use it without disturbing that rubber diaphragm. And i've learned my lesson in buying lesser quality tools before...the hard way of course

support the slide on wood and get your quality driver ibn there and give a few taps with a yack hammer. hopefully that will shift it.

other wise you may need to resort to using an impact driver

by plus gas do you mean, like the 89 octane plus gas you get at a gas station, or a product called plus gas.

sorry , just noticed you are in the usa.

plus gas is a very thin penetrating oil, loosens anything,

automatic transmission Fluid

sorry for sounding like a tw4t,,,, i know what acetone is,,,,but is automatic trans fluid the same as hydraulic fluid.

sorry for sounding like a tw4t,,,, i know what acetone is,,,,but is automatic trans fluid the same as hydraulic fluid.

... as in brake/clutch fluid?

No.

HTH

alright, decided to skip eating during my lunch break and went to the local yamaha place to see if they had any advice as far as if they've dealt with stuff like this before. Mechanic used an impact driver and got the screws out, took'm less than 2 minutes. I only brought one of the carb slides with me, but i figured i know i should get an impact driver for sure now. Plus i'm sure i can use it along the way of finishing my cafe build.

thanks for all the help fellas, i really appreciate helping a new guy like me find his way

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online