More electrical gremlins...

Joeleol
This post is 4977 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Howdy, So today I've started to think about making my custom loom up, only to discover that my coils only have one wire going into them.... Normally there is two. What does this mean? Are they completely unusable or is there a way around this?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Howdy, So today I've started to think about making my custom loom up, only to discover that my coils only have one wire going into them.... Normally there is two. What does this mean? Are they completely unusable or is there a way around this?

should be 2 wires, pikkies please?

yeah that will be grounded to the bike . So if your bike has the black cable from the battery connected directly to the frame you should be ok . If not you will need to run a negetive to the chassi part of the coil .

IMPORTANT EDIT : IF YOU TAKE THE SECOND OPTION I WOULD ADVISE THAT YOU SHIELD THE COIL FROM THE FRAME WITH RUBBER OR THE LIKE OR YOUWILL INADVERTENTLY ADD A NEGETIVE GROUND TO THE BIKE REMEMBER TO DO BOTH BOLT HEADS ALSO FOR THE SAME REASON. YOU DONT WANT ANY PART OF THE COIL TOUCHING THE BIKE INCLUDING BOLT TO COIL TO BIKE ....IF YOU GET ME

My rxs has a neg ground so EVERYTHING only has one wire ...lights , coils ,everything . This can lead to ground failure and it can be a pain to find if somthing corodes etc . so if you are designing a newsystem for it it may be beneficial to you to put in a negetive rail .

sorry fgor all the edits ...haha ... : if you redesign a bike from neg ground to a "railed negetive" you will need to isolate everything from the bike . I dont even know if that is possible so definatley ask somone with more knowledge than me !!

A coils ground is the spark plug though isnt it? My old coils has two wires in, one for the condensor and one for the points.

A coils ground is the spark plug though isnt it? My old coils has two wires in, one for the condensor and one for the points.

yeah you`re probably right . See i told you i would be completely wrong ..lol .

looking at the coil though . Its a metal chassi and if its a neg ground it will be grounded by the frame . Thats where my assumption came from .

it might be an idea to get the coils with 2 wires to make sure you`re ok

It's ok, at least your offering advice! I just cant think of a logical way around using a coil with only one hook-up without using more relays (which I certainly wont be)

when I was buying new coils I came across those. Figured that there was no satisfactory way to use them as you need a + supply for the coil and an interupted earth for the points.

the only way to use them would be to isolate the coil form the frame and run a negative to the points, not the best.

check the ohms rating as they could also be for electronic ignition systems!

when I was buying new coils I came across those. Figured that there was no satisfactory way to use them as you need a + supply for the coil and an interupted earth for the points.

the only way to use them would be to isolate the coil form the frame and run a negative to the points, not the best.

check the ohms rating as they could also be for electronic ignition systems!

Thats kinda what i thought . Mine is electronic which would suggest thats why mine has only one wire also . (mine is poxy 6v too ....yamaha definatley mucked that one up !!)

Thats kinda what i thought . Mine is electronic which would suggest thats why mine has only one wire also . (mine is poxy 6v too ....yamaha definatley mucked that one up !!)

They are pretty much the same as the DT coil, the points should interupt the live feed to the coil by discharging it to earth. Or on a cdi switching it off electronically.

Black wire for primary coil earthing to the frame and big wire the secondary high tension earth'd via the spark plug.

I take it you need two of them then?

Thanks for your inputs everybody, I guess I need to find some new SUITABLE coils.... Does anyone know which ones I could use? Without going to wemoto and spending £30 per coil. Thanks, Joel

on the XS there is a continuous live feed via the ignition switch.

the contacts earth the coil to charge up the primary, when the earth breaks, the secondary coil discharges that energy to ground (the spark plug)

this is in very simplistic terms.

with one wire, all i can think is the live is triggered!

on the XS there is a continuous live feed via the ignition switch.

the contacts earth the coil to charge up the primary, when the earth breaks, the secondary coil discharges that energy to ground (the spark plug)

this is in very simplistic terms.

with one wire, all i can think is the live is triggered!

This sound like what I was thinking, by putting a separate relay in that is deactivated by the points (way to much hassle)

This sound like what I was thinking, by putting a separate relay in that is deactivated by the points (way to much hassle)

No way it would be fast enough or able to last more than a few minutes tops before the relay failed.

On the xs650 coils, from the coils, where do the red and brown wires go?

as it happens i have an xs650 wiring diagram

startercircuitFinal1-1.jpg

Aha, now that looks more like what I'm working with! I will copy this exactly! Although there is no condenser any more =( Shall I just leave it out?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online