WARNING - New Email Scam

Gas up - Let's Go!
This post is 4958 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Chaps,

There is a new E-Mail scam that is doing the rounds. It is a mail message from your bank (any bank realy, it might just look like your bank) that is claiming you have recieved a refund from HMRC (the Tax Man). Attached in the mail is a .HTM document (it looks like a web page) that will be the undoing of you, should you click on it... so don't

Here's what the mail looks like:

Sent: 15 September 2010 12:21

Subject: HSBC Notification : Incoming funds !

Dear Applicant:

You have received a tax refund payment of 302.25GBP from HMRC (HM Revenue & Customs) into your Internet Banking Account.

Please accept the tax refund request. The money will appear in your Internet Banking Account after 3-6 days.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons.

For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

Please submit the form attached to your email in order to accept your incoming

funds

Note: If you are using Internet Explorer please allow ActiveX for scripts to

perform all data transfers securely .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,

HSBC Bank plc 2002 - 2010

Copyright 2010, HSBC Internet Banking U.K. All rights reserve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Does simply clicking on it do something bad or are you only in trouble if you fill in some of your bank details on the attachement?

Does simply clicking on it do something bad or are you only in trouble if you fill in some of your bank details on the attachement?

Dunno - you could try it ? I deleted it though.

Your on-line bake will never ask for information in this way. So you should just delete the mail. If you think the file is real, and actually from your bank, give them a call or check through your normal on-line access.

You've just got to gasp in admiration at the stupidity of these scammers, and even more so at the people who think these things are genuine. Why would a bank e-mail you to fill in a form to accept an incoming payment? Do you get a form to fill out every month to accept your salary/benefits/Mafia hit money?

Sheesh!

Basic rule of thumb: if you use internet banking, any message they want to send you will be in your online message box, the most you'll receive will be a notification that you've got a message. Anything else is a scam, so delete without opening.

Chaps,

There is a new E-Mail scam that is doing the rounds. It is a mail message from your bank (any bank realy, it might just look like your bank) that is claiming you have recieved a refund from HMRC (the Tax Man). Attached in the mail is a .HTM document (it looks like a web page) that will be the undoing of you, should you click on it... so don't

Here's what the mail looks like:

Sent: 15 September 2010 12:21

Subject: HSBC Notification : Incoming funds !

Dear Applicant:

You have received a tax refund payment of 302.25GBP from HMRC (HM Revenue & Customs) into your Internet Banking Account.

Please accept the tax refund request. The money will appear in your Internet Banking Account after 3-6 days.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons.

For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

Please submit the form attached to your email in order to accept your incoming

funds

Note: If you are using Internet Explorer please allow ActiveX for scripts to

perform all data transfers securely .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,

HSBC Bank plc 2002 - 2010

Copyright 2010, HSBC Internet Banking U.K. All rights reserve

Dunno - you could try it ? I deleted it though.

Your on-line bake will never ask for information in this way. So you should just delete the mail. If you think the file is real, and actually from your bank, give them a call or check through your normal on-line access.

Anyway i wouldn;t fill the form in as it is only for a measly £300-odd quid. I just got an email from a Nigerian Oil-Baron to tell me i'm getting $14,000,000!!!! :lol:

Anyway i wouldn;t fill the form in as it is only for a measly £300-odd quid. I just got an email from a Nigerian Oil-Baron to tell me i'm getting $14,000,000!!!! :lol:

Ha thats funny. You have to watch these scams. One of my co-workers replied to a scam email with details of someone else who works at our place. All he did was fill in the guys name and say he was interested. It was meant to be as a bit of a wind up... they found out the phone number of the company from the email and started phoning up our work asking for the guys bank details! When someone told them to get lost someone with a LOCAL accent phoned back and said we know youre name and the address of your work, and have followed you back to your house, dont mess us around! The guy ended up in tears over it. Silly joke got out of hand!

• 4 weeks later...

I know this post is quite old but I got the same email yesterday! here is the email I got, so i guess they are still trying the same trick.

Recalculation of you tax refund

Local Office no. 580

HM Revenue & Customs Officer: John Craig

ATTN: Dear Applicant,

After the last annual calculation of your fiscal activity we have determined

that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of 344.79 GBP

In order to process your tax return must complete the form attached to this message.

TAX REFUND NUMBER: UK833859-HMRC/2010

The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and as applicable,

copyright in these is reserved to HM Revenue & Customs.

United Kingdom Taxation Office

HM Revenue & Customs

John Craig

Tailyour Road

Plymouth

PL6 5BZ

© Copyright 2010, HM Revenue & Customs UK All rights reserved

Guest CardBoardDave

I know this post is quite old but I got the same email yesterday! here is the email I got, so i guess they are still trying the same trick.

Recalculation of you tax refund

Local Office no. 580

HM Revenue & Customs Officer: John Craig

ATTN: Dear Applicant,

After the last annual calculation of your fiscal activity we have determined

that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of 344.79 GBP

In order to process your tax return must complete the form attached to this message.

TAX REFUND NUMBER: UK833859-HMRC/2010

The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and as applicable,

copyright in these is reserved to HM Revenue & Customs.

United Kingdom Taxation Office

HM Revenue & Customs

John Craig

Tailyour Road

Plymouth

PL6 5BZ

© Copyright 2010, HM Revenue & Customs UK All rights reserved

Hi if in doubt check and or submit suspect mails to

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online