sooty plugs

budgie7622
This post is 4985 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all just baught a 1991 xj900f nice and cheap 45000 miles but i have noticed the plugs are very sooty and a friend told me it was because of dead petrol. It runs fine the odd splutter but i was wondering can petrol go of and if not what else could be the problem?. In advance thanks for the advise.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all just baught a 1991 xj900f nice and cheap 45000 miles but i have noticed the plugs are very sooty and a friend told me it was because of dead petrol. It runs fine the odd splutter but i was wondering can petrol go of and if not what else could be the problem?. In advance thanks for the advise.

You haven't told us how much you have run your new bike on the old gas. Best to siphon that stuff out if you know or suspect it to be around a year old or older. Then run the bike a bunch of miles with the new gas before you pull a plug and evaluate it. Short runs won't give you an accurate plug read. Yes, gas can deteriorate on standing.

Aye the petrol can go off, it looses its jizz after a while, get some new stuff in there.

It could also be that the bike is been ridden to slow or with not enough revs ............dont go out now and start speening,,,,,,i just mean keep the revs up a bit more before changing gear.

Could also be other stuff,,,,, give her a good service first and see how ya get on.

Welcome to the YOC B)

Also any one know where i can buy parts for it

Fowlers , or buy the Classic Motorcycle Mechanics mag , plenty info in there ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online