Needs some help on needles and jets in carbs.

MasonHart
This post is 5045 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

On my xs' mikuni carbs when i took off the float bowl there are two needles above it, if i take those out to clean everything would i just screw them back in till they stop or is there a certain adjustment for them? Also, are there other in the carb that i should clean too.

Thanks in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

On my xs' mikuni carbs when i took off the float bowl there are two needles above it, if i take those out to clean everything would i just screw them back in till they stop or is there a certain adjustment for them? Also, are there other in the carb that i should clean too.

Thanks in advance

Hi not familiar with the bike and without a picture will have to guess about what you are referring to.

Theses'needles' that apparently have threads on them! Could one be a throttle stop (idle adjust) screw, theses usually have a large and sometimes knurled head. this is used to set the correct idle speed for example 1000 rpm.

Could the other be the mixture screw? these are usually made from brass. These have a setting from gently closed, for example 1 1/2 turns out.

The first image are the screws i was talking about above the float bowl and the second image is of the pilot air jet IIRC. On the first image the red arrows point to the screws and the blue ones are for some holes that are there, can i spray carb cleaner in there and be safe?

vdfjip.jpg

n6ym80.jpg

The first image are the screws i was talking about above the float bowl and the second image is of the pilot air jet IIRC. On the first image the red arrows point to the screws and the blue ones are for some holes that are there, can i spray carb cleaner in there and be safe?

vdfjip.jpg

n6ym80.jpg

First picture, the holes are definitely okay to spray and should be. The top most red arrow points to the is your pilot jet, and you should take it out to clean, and clean the passageway. The second red arrow is pointing to your Main jet, and should also be cleaned along with the passageway.

While you've got it apart you should also measure your float height, and clean the Needle valve assembly underneath where the floats attach to the carb, and their passageway.

That's actually your air jet,in the last picture, and you should clean it and the passageway.

Also, not sure on your carbs, but when you take the pilot screws (also called mixture screws) out to clean, make sure they have the small o-ring that goes on the end. With my carbs if they aren't present, you can never get the bike to idle properly. Many times those o-rings completely disintegrate over time.

you'll need to take off the carb top and diaphram to release the spray bar under the mains, as it pops out through the carb top.

try and get the carb ultrasonic cleaned as its the best way.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online