Inline Fuel Filter setups

kindest
This post is 5038 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Inline Fuel filters  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Are you running an inline fuel filter?

• Yes
    • No
    • Whats a fuel filter
    • I like pancakes

This poll is closed to new votes

how many are you guys are running fuel filters..

I've got 3 different kinds and I can't get any of them to fit between the gas tank and the carbs on my xs400.. hehe

I should have gotten an L one.. Any pics of your filter setups?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i have a little one :blush:

fits no problem the whole thing looks like a reverse L.

btw you can undo the carb connection and turn the union to the horizontal position

i have a little one :blush:

fits no problem the whole thing looks like a reverse L.

btw you can undo the carb connection and turn the union to the horizontal position

heh tried that too. I guess all the ones I got are just way to big. I need a mini

I will post a better pic when I get a chance (pics on home computer), but I understand the issue with space to run a filter. I replaced my petcock with a manual one, so I had more options of how to run the fuel line (straight or 90 degree hose barb that can be fitted on the front or back of the petcock). I experimented with different setups and the main problem was leaving clearance to reach the choke. T ended up using a 90 degree hose barb on the front (engine side) of the petcock so that the barb faces straight down. The fuel line then runs to the filter, and from the filter to the carb with kind of a large loop of fuel line dropping below the choke handle.

The pic only shows the setup at the petcock, but I will get a fuller pic soon.

dsc01255s.jpg

I will post a better pic when I get a chance (pics on home computer), but I understand the issue with space to run a filter. I replaced my petcock with a manual one, so I had more options of how to run the fuel line (straight or 90 degree hose barb that can be fitted on the front or back of the petcock). I experimented with different setups and the main problem was leaving clearance to reach the choke. T ended up using a 90 degree hose barb on the front (engine side) of the petcock so that the barb faces straight down. The fuel line then runs to the filter, and from the filter to the carb with kind of a large loop of fuel line dropping below the choke handle.

The pic only shows the setup at the petcock, but I will get a fuller pic soon.

dsc01255s.jpg

what kind of barb fittings are you using.. nylon, brass? I had the same problem with the throttle I can wedge something in there that leaks and also hits the throttle... lol 2 major problems.

They are brass. You can see in that pic the brass bolt head on the right side of the petcock. The petcock came with a variety of barbs that screw into the petcock body. That bolt can be removed and a barb put in its place so that the fuel line can be run to either side of the petcock- and the petcock can be used on either side of the bike if there are 2 petcocks.

You can see in the above pic that if I ran the fuel line to the right side of the petcock, the line will run right in front of the choke (my handle is missing, it's the round washer looking things).

I will get a better pic tonight if i can, but here is a link to the petcock I used that shows a couple of different available hose barbs. Using the stock, petcock, there are not the options that there are with this.

https://www.partsnmore.com/cat_index.php?model=xs400&category=carb

They are brass. You can see in that pic the brass bolt head on the right side of the petcock. The petcock came with a variety of barbs that screw into the petcock body. That bolt can be removed and a barb put in its place so that the fuel line can be run to either side of the petcock- and the petcock can be used on either side of the bike if there are 2 petcocks.

You can see in the above pic that if I ran the fuel line to the right side of the petcock, the line will run right in front of the choke (my handle is missing, it's the round washer looking things).

I will get a better pic tonight if i can, but here is a link to the petcock I used that shows a couple of different available hose barbs. Using the stock, petcock, there are not the options that there are with this.

https://www.partsnmore.com/cat_index.php?model=xs400&category=carb

was trying to avoid having to buy a new petcock as I have 2 spare stock ones. Was trying to avoid using multiple elbows as well but it sounds like the only option I have other then finding a really tiny fuel filter or one that has a built in L. Do the carbs suck the gas or is it all gravity fed. You can't have the line run lower then carbs then back up into them I presume?

Any place locally I can pick up a small L fuel filter.. not sure where to try.

was trying to avoid having to buy a new petcock as I have 2 spare stock ones. Was trying to avoid using multiple elbows as well but it sounds like the only option I have other then finding a really tiny fuel filter or one that has a built in L. Do the carbs suck the gas or is it all gravity fed. You can't have the line run lower then carbs then back up into them I presume?

try some local cycle supply shop's . that's where i found mine they had a big ol box of them @ the counter next to the big one's :lol: .

I get what you're saying about using the petcock you have. I only replaced mine because it was leaking anyway, and when I have to replace, I always use a manual. However, since these systems are gravity fed, as long as the carbs are always below the tank (tough for then not to be), the gas will flow even if these is a loop in the fuel line. Even though you have a different petcock, maybe mine will give you an idea or 2. Good luck!

dsc01450s.jpg

I have two very small cone shaped ones on mine, one for each petcock. they have a brass stone in them for filtering. they are very small. I will post a picture in the morning. I am not sure where the PO got them but i can do a little researching.

I get what you're saying about using the petcock you have. I only replaced mine because it was leaking anyway, and when I have to replace, I always use a manual. However, since these systems are gravity fed, as long as the carbs are always below the tank (tough for then not to be), the gas will flow even if these is a loop in the fuel line. Even though you have a different petcock, maybe mine will give you an idea or 2. Good luck!

dsc01450s.jpg

ahhh didnt even think about looping it back around like that.. thats a good idea. I like your hose clamps.. where did you get them?

that KN filter looks pimp too.

like someone else above mentioned since i do not have a xs400 (i have a 1980 dt 175) i voted i like pancakes.

however,

i did have a universal fuel filter on mine, but i found that it was making my bike fuel starved. The fuel was flowing freely through the petcock nicely, but struggled for whatever reason to make it's way through the filter, which is something i did not notice until my foot was almost screaming at me in utter pain from the amount of times i had to kick it to get er to crank over.

once i took the fuel filter off, and ran a proper straight fuel line from the petcock to the carb, it now starts 50% of the time on the first kick, the rest of the time 2nd or 3rd kick.

i dunno maybe it was the wrong filter or something (it was very generic, the yammy guy picked it out to match the old one from a bin of about 20 different designs) or maybe it has something to do with the fact that the petcock has a built in filter.

don't blame me though, i got the bike with the filter on it, it was caked in gunk and crud so i took it into the yammy dealer to get a new one. He said (since i am a newbie with bikes i was not sure) the petcock on my bike has a filter built in, but lots of people put other ones on the fuel line on this era of bike because it has a metal tank. So without actually checking the petcock filter i bought it and installed it thinking ok, maybe the built in one is borked or something. but after installing it and still experiencing the same problem i took the petcock off and game it a good clean, noting that the filter was in almost new condition. problem persisted, that is when i removed the filter, ran a straight line to the carb. problem solved it seems.

maybe it was just the operator that was the problem and not the filter. maybe the wrong filter, maybe i shoulda gotten one more like 'HoughMade' put on his bike. But for the time being i wont be putting a inline filter back on it. Not if it is gonna cause fuel starvation and sore feet.

This is a timely thread since I was just wondering about the advisability of adding an in-line filter. My concern was also fuel starvation, especially with two carbs that need to be fed. I guess the key is a large enough filter and/or one not too restrictive. All my scoots have had in-line filters but they only have one carb and the largest has only had a 300 cc engine. None already had filters in the tank. Theoretically, a good tank filter should be enough protection but you can only know that after pulling the petcock.

I got the clamps from Ace Hardware- standard spring clamps. I got the fuel line at Ace too- just a couple of bucks. The filter is from Tractor Supply Company, about $4. It is rated for 5hp to 80hp, so I figured it would be fine for under 40hp. I have the exact same filter on my motorized bicycle....and my lawn mower.

I got the clamps from Ace Hardware- standard spring clamps. I got the fuel line at Ace too- just a couple of bucks. The filter is from Tractor Supply Company, about $4. It is rated for 5hp to 80hp, so I figured it would be fine for under 40hp. I have the exact same filter on my motorized bicycle....and my lawn mower.

heh I work @ an Ace. we don't have those clamps.. not in our warehouse either. doh. :P

fuel line we got.. got tons of that which I've been going thru like crazy trying to make a configuration work. pretty confident ill have something working by the end of the weekend. :P

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online