ct 175 - why wont it start?

old hoon
This post is 5025 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Maybe a quick introduction. Im new to both motorcycles and computers so this is going to be interesting! A few months back was handed the key to a 1972 yamaha ct 175 which an old guy rescued from being thrown out and stored under his home for 10 yrs. (actually cost me a case of beer...) Thought this would make a nice project and have good memories of a dt175 from about 20 yrs ago which my brother had and i got to ride a couple of times.

Problem is i cant get it to fire. Have tried a few things over the last few months from cleaning the carbie, changing plugs, checked timing(static), changed air filter etc.

My best guess is that the spark is too weak and is blowing out. The manual says should have a 7mm (1/4 inch) spark but only stretches to 3mm. Havent changed the points or condensor yet (finding them hard to source in australia).

Hope someone can give me an idea which step to check next. Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Hoon,

If it has at least a little spark you might be almost there. You'd want to change the points and condenser as part of a tune up but I've got no idea of parts availability. I went to the Yamaha dealer/shop and got what I needed and they were really helpful. I've been able to get most of the consumables that way for the '74 DT andI reckon it was easier than finding stuff on-line or at the wreckers. Give em a try if you haven't already. If you have, that's me done on that one. Have you tried cleaning the points until you get a new set?

Back on the spark, have you checked the plug cap and lead? Mine was a bit dodgy and temperamental for a while and not so obvious. After that I'd be looking at the ignition coil.

Hope that helps,

Gordo

Hi Hoon,

If it has at least a little spark you might be almost there. You'd want to change the points and condenser as part of a tune up but I've got no idea of parts availability. I went to the Yamaha dealer/shop and got what I needed and they were really helpful. I've been able to get most of the consumables that way for the '74 DT andI reckon it was easier than finding stuff on-line or at the wreckers. Give em a try if you haven't already. If you have, that's me done on that one. Have you tried cleaning the points until you get a new set?

Back on the spark, have you checked the plug cap and lead? Mine was a bit dodgy and temperamental for a while and not so obvious. After that I'd be looking at the ignition coil.

Hope that helps,

Gordo

Hi gordo, Thanks for that. Yeah i cleaned the points as that was the best option till then. Will somehow track down a new condensor and give that a shot (would that affect the size of the spark?) As for the coil i checked the primary wind resistance and it was 2.3ohm (manual says 1.6) and secondary 6.6kohm (should be 6.25). Dunno if this is close enough. As for the lead and cap they were a little coroded though now clean, and lead seems to be one unit with the coil so not sure what can do there. Thanks for your help.

Hi gordo, Thanks for that. Yeah i cleaned the points as that was the best option till then. Will somehow track down a new condensor and give that a shot (would that affect the size of the spark?) As for the coil i checked the primary wind resistance and it was 2.3ohm (manual says 1.6) and secondary 6.6kohm (should be 6.25). Dunno if this is close enough. As for the lead and cap they were a little coroded though now clean, and lead seems to be one unit with the coil so not sure what can do there. Thanks for your help.

Hey again,

Yep the weak spark could be from a dodgy condenser if the coil is good. .

For the coil and lead, it must be the same as the DT as it looks to be one unit with the cap that screws into the lead. Mine was cracked and kinked luckily right near the cap so I cut the end off. It's fine now but just long enough to reach the plug. The lead is loose in the coil so I'm guessing that's the next bit to fall out/off. The replacement will be the coil and lead as one unit. Hopefully it won't be too expensive if I need it.'

Gordo

Hi as you can see I have a DT 175 1976 twin shock model, For the condenser you can fit one remotely out side of the magneto,

They used to do that on trials competition bikes so that it was quicker to change over the condenser at a meeting, I say this because I couldn’t find a correct condenser for my bike so this was my get out till I found the right one,

Try Yam bits [email protected]

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-DT175-DT-175-IGNITION-CONDENSER-CONDENSOR-/230414699562?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item35a5c94c2a

Hi as you can see I have a DT 175 1976 twin shock model, For the condenser you can fit one remotely out side of the magneto,

They used to do that on trials competition bikes so that it was quicker to change over the condenser at a meeting, I say this because I couldn’t find a correct condenser for my bike so this was my get out till I found the right one,

Try Yam bits [email protected]

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-DT175-DT-175-IGNITION-CONDENSER-CONDENSOR-/230414699562?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item35a5c94c2a

+1 on that, it also allows you to use 2 smaller units if you have difficulty finding the right one.

+1 on that, it also allows you to use 2 smaller units if you have difficulty finding the right one.

Thanks for that. Will try that over the next few days and let you know how it goes.

Just got of the phone from bike shop. I can get an ignition coil for the DT Ok and while I was there asked about the points and condenser for the CT (I'm twiddling my thumbs at work). Anyways, probably what you already know in that none available in Australia but Mr parts man seemed to think that they are available somwhere else in the world according to his computer. He may well be right so could be worth checking it out.......

Bugger, Just came from the bike shop and Mr parts man got it wrong about a coil being available. He could have got the condenser wrong too......

Thanks for that gordo, yeah some of those parts are definitely hard to come by though e bay seems to have a few and interestingly enough a guy in queensland has a coil he sells that looks like a direct fit for my one (solid state?). The only thing is he syas its both fine for 6 and 12 volt which makes me wonder.

By the way the dt you have looks interesting. Had that long? Brother had a later model dt175 about 20 yrs ago but looked too plasticy.

Also thinking about getting another ct175 which is wrecking for parts. Is just about complete and going for a song. Thanks for all your help and wiil let you know how it all goes

Hi Hoon,

The bike shop had a coil in shop the same: 6V/12V. $40ish from memory. I don't need it so I left it. Fingers crossed the original will have a few more km's in it.

If you can get another CT cheap that might get most of what you need except a bigger shed?

Yeah I'm really happy with the bike now. Got it on EBay a couple of years ago. Lucky really. I was scrolling through anything for sale in the area and saw that flash through. Wasn't looking for a bike but it only had $50 on it so that got me thinking. In the end it was $250 and with a bit of cleaning up, new piston and barrel bore it was running pretty well. Took 6months to get it on the road legally with various bits and pieces and I ride it maybe 2-3 times a week to work and try to get out off-road once a week which is what I really wanted it for. I'd do that every day if I could. Got to go to Sydney for work so the bike is parked until Monday.....

More soon,

Gordo

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gordo,

Sorry havent replied for some time but family and work has left little free time. Just to fill you in with the ct2, ripped apart the electrical system and found lots of poor connections so did some resoldering but still with the same condensor. Friend of mine felt the coil should be fine. Spark plug hooked up but leaning on the cylinder head and definitely more visible spark so fuel in, spark plug back in first kick some litlle firingat the end, second kick start fires up and even a couple of quick revs with the throttle before it died and refused to start again with a funny little backfire at the end of each attempt.

Took the flywheel off again and found the woodchuck key had sheared...all fun and games. Anyway best i could find was a key from a small car and 2 hours on the grinder had that fitted and will try again in the next couple of days but looks promising from the last attempt.

Thanks for all your help

Hi Hoon,

The bike shop had a coil in shop the same: 6V/12V. $40ish from memory. I don't need it so I left it. Fingers crossed the original will have a few more km's in it.

If you can get another CT cheap that might get most of what you need except a bigger shed?

Yeah I'm really happy with the bike now. Got it on EBay a couple of years ago. Lucky really. I was scrolling through anything for sale in the area and saw that flash through. Wasn't looking for a bike but it only had $50 on it so that got me thinking. In the end it was $250 and with a bit of cleaning up, new piston and barrel bore it was running pretty well. Took 6months to get it on the road legally with various bits and pieces and I ride it maybe 2-3 times a week to work and try to get out off-road once a week which is what I really wanted it for. I'd do that every day if I could. Got to go to Sydney for work so the bike is parked until Monday.....

More soon,

Gordo

Took the flywheel off again and found the woodchuck key had sheared...all fun and games. Anyway best i could find was a key from a small car and 2 hours on the grinder had that fitted and will try again in the next couple of days but looks promising from the last attempt.

Thanks for all your help

Now that's dedication... Any chance with pics? But i've found alot of parts on ebay. And i don't know about shipping, but i've had alot of luck with bikebandit.com of course i'm in the US

Now that's dedication... Any chance with pics? But i've found alot of parts on ebay. And i don't know about shipping, but i've had alot of luck with bikebandit.com of course i'm in the US

Well the day has finally come. Cleaned the tank andput in new fuel. Bled the oil pump and new 2 stroke oil and kicked her over and she idled beautifully with no need for choke within a short time. Clean rev and pick up and even went for a short ride around the yard. Got as far as 3rd in the limited area i have but am stoked. Has started first time all day.Probably first run she has had in at least 10 yrs. Some minor issues with oil leaks etc but now that i know her guts are fine i can get serious and start buying some parts and restore her properly. Thanks to all with their input.

As for photos i will try but havent figured out how to do it yet. Also dont expect much as she actually looks worse than when i picked her up with my dismantling her to get at all the problems till now. Any hints on how to upload photos?

Also have no lights or indicators. Is that because there is no battery in there? Or should they work even without? More soon.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online