Getting painting done.

johnsnownw
This post is 5063 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Where would one go to get a decent but inexpensive paint job. Only things to be painted are the side covers and the tank. Places that specialize in motorcycle painting, seem to be overpriced and uninterested in basic paint jobs.

All she wants is a solid sparkly silver.

Not necessarily looking for a specific place, just a type of place.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Where would one go to get a decent but inexpensive paint job. Only things to be painted are the side covers and the tank. Places that specialize in motorcycle painting, seem to be overpriced and uninterested in basic paint jobs.

All she wants is a solid sparkly silver.

Not necessarily looking for a specific place, just a type of place.

maybe a body work shop for cars or something.. slip the guy 20 bucks.. couldn't imagine it taking more then 5 minutes.

there is certainlly more involved in painting then 5 minutes worth of time.

there is a nation wide place called http://www.maaco.com/, they are cheap for a reason they like to cut corners and paint over paint and they don't mask well, that being said go rent an air compressor if you don't have one and a special blasting gun that doesn't use glass beads or sand but uses baking soda it works just as good but doesn't take any good metal and is better for the enviroment, once you have the parts blasted mask them off yourself then bring them to maaco and have them spray them, thier price includes paint from a basic list of like 20 colors but they will spray any color you want, in general thier spray jobs tend to last about 5 years then the clear coat starts to peel and flake yet if you do a decent proper job at prepping the parts first and not leave it up to them the job will turn out much better, I don't know what it cost to get bike tins sprayed but since the maaco near me advertises deals on spraying full cars for aslow as $200, shit I'd spend the extra and have them do a decent job

there is certainlly more involved in painting then 5 minutes worth of time.

there is a nation wide place called http://www.maaco.com/, they are cheap for a reason they like to cut corners and paint over paint and they don't mask well, that being said go rent an air compressor if you don't have one and a special blasting gun that doesn't use glass beads or sand but uses baking soda it works just as good but doesn't take any good metal and is better for the enviroment, once you have the parts blasted mask them off yourself then bring them to maaco and have them spray them, thier price includes paint from a basic list of like 20 colors but they will spray any color you want, in general thier spray jobs tend to last about 5 years then the clear coat starts to peel and flake yet if you do a decent proper job at prepping the parts first and not leave it up to them the job will turn out much better, I don't know what it cost to get bike tins sprayed but since the maaco near me advertises deals on spraying full cars for aslow as $200, shit I'd spend the extra and have them do a decent job

Well, I contacted Maaco and that was a bust as they wanted to charge me $250 for slightly better than basic, to do the tank and side covers. I contacted another place that will do a metallic color with clear coat for $200 sight unseen. I think I'm going to try to haggle them down to less, or perhaps just scratch the clear coat and knock some money off. The place has good reviews and the guy I talked to seemed pretty honest and willing to work with me. So, we'll see how that goes.

I'd look at their work first.

I had clear coat on a new tank, all side panels, seat strip and rear cowl all with transfers ( i supplied) for £200 4-5 years ago.

still looks great and worth the dosh

drewps

I'd look at their work first.

I had clear coat on a new tank, all side panels, seat strip and rear cowl all with transfers ( i supplied) for £200 4-5 years ago.

still looks great and worth the dosh

drewps

I did just that, went by and he showed me some pictures of work they had done. If it looks anything like the others, it should be well worth it. Mind you it will be a solid color, no designs or accents.

Here's what she looks like. All my finace wanted was a solid color, and I probably would have chosen a different one, but it's not really my bike.

img1490i.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Pay no attention to the reflection.

Edited by johnsnownw

was a solid color,

Pay no attention to the reflection.

Looks good johnboy" & that reflection - you could do with losing a stone, :D, The old yam will pull better too :lol:

Looks good johnboy" & that reflection - you could do with losing a stone, :D, The old yam will pull better too :lol:

Even if I needed to lose a stone, it would have little affect on the performance. As it's my fiance's bike and she might weigh 120 lbs wet. But thanks all the same :)

Even if I needed to lose a stone, it would have little affect on the performance. As it's my fiance's bike and she might weigh 120 lbs wet. But thanks all the same :)

:lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online