xs400 cafe racer project

jdmjimi
This post is 4859 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Here are some pics of my 79' xs400 cafe project. There is alot i am changing with this bike. Dont worry bars are on the top of the list (going to install some clip on's). And yes the seat is a fab'd steel pan. The gas tank is a 77' xs360. The bike has been converted to a single mikuni vm34 round slide. Plans to completely change the whole image of this once original bike. check the pics out and let me know what you think.

0418101748[1]

IMGA0725

IMGA0718

IMGA0723

0418001752[1]

IMGA0712

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Plans to completely change the whole image of this. check the pics out and let me know what you think.

I think that's a fine bit of leg, is it that you want to change it to a different model !!! laugh.gif

Bike look in good shape biggrin.gif

I guess you could call it a whole different model of the xs400. I just cant leave well enough alone.

i like the tank. like the squarer tank and the paint job yamaha did on it. although would be cool to have alloy looking tank to match the seat/fender.

Cool Bike!

i like the tank. like the squarer tank and the paint job yamaha did on it. although would be cool to have alloy looking tank to match the seat/fender.

Cool Bike!

i would do the opposite and paint the fender and seat the same colour as the tank! lol but guess everyone is different :D will you be covering the seat? its normally black leather with studs round the edge on the ones iv seen

if it was mine then i would shop around for smaller chrome clocks instead of the bulky ones you have on at the mo. B)

Hey thanks. yeah i am actually gonna paint the whole bike as close to raw metal color as possible. If i could it would all be raw metal but that would last 1hr until it rust. I am also looking to fab up a set of rear sets soon too. I want to get rid of the gauges and replace them with a mini tach only. And trust me the tought has crossed my mind about that factory orange color. I think it would be cool to do the whole bike like that, but then again i like the raw mechanical look of things. who knows a project is never done!

AS far as the seat goes. I am still working on the cushion part. I just love the way it looks, im afraid i wont be able to make a cover to compare to how well the pan it self came out.

Hey thanks. yeah i am actually gonna paint the whole bike as close to raw metal color as possible. If i could it would all be raw metal but that would last 1hr until it rust. I am also looking to fab up a set of rear sets soon too. I want to get rid of the gauges and replace them with a mini tach only. And trust me the tought has crossed my mind about that factory orange color. I think it would be cool to do the whole bike like that, but then again i like the raw mechanical look of things. who knows a project is never done!

i know the feeling im working on my own xvs 125 bobber at the mo. well hope you have fun and post some pics when its all done! :D

love the single carb conversion, did you make the manifold yourself?

love the single carb conversion, did you make the manifold yourself?

Yeah like i said though its just a protype. It needs a little more work. But it does function quite well.

Thanks! :D

Cool raw metal could be cool.

... And trust me the tought has crossed my mind about that factory orange color.

Hah... the only bike I ever liked in orange was the cb 350 candy gold/orange? color:...

Heres a beaut cafe for sale in san fran (too expensive though for an 99% stock CB):

cb350_1.jpg

cb350_2.jpg

I will be adding a xs360 18" front disc spoked wheel and a xs360 18" drum brake wheel. I plan on adding a 99 ducati SS front brake rotor and caliper to give it that resto-mod look and functionbility. The drum front brake is scarey worthless on this bike, yet i like the way it looks. I have my eye on a set of tires, but got to keep speed rating and heat range in mind for a bike that isn't the fastest on the road. All in all it has to be one of the fun things ive built yet. :D

Cool raw metal could be cool.

Hah... the only bike I ever liked in orange was the cb 350 candy gold/orange? color:...

Heres a beaut cafe for sale in san fran (too expensive though for an 99% stock CB):

cb350_1.jpg

cb350_2.jpg

Thats funny i have a 72' cb 350f but it is blue. I do like that candy gold though. B)

Your XS400 is very nice ... as to the CB350 at one time I owned six of them ... I have written several articles which were published regarding the CB350 ... My issue with them now is this ... In 1985 you could purchase a CB350 in mint / cherry / showroom condition for five to seven hundred dollars ... many were for sale in decent condition in the 150 to 300 dollar range ... now people are asking two grand for one ... when for about the same price you can get a 250 Ninja which will wipe it off the road ... however back to your XS Cafe ... thanks for posting your pics of the fine machine you are building.

Rubber Side Down

Karen

What gauge will you be using? I have a similar project i'm working on and I'm having trouble figuring out what I can use.

What gauge will you be using? I have a similar project i'm working on and I'm having trouble figuring out what I can use.

I was thinking of using an acewell gauge. More or less to combind all the instruments into one. Or maybe none at all.

• 1 month later...

Well i am in the final stages of getting this bike on the road for september's voyage to OC MD. bike week. 4hr ride.... I just recieved today, my new clip-on's, and headlamp ears, and motion pro quick trottle kit. Now to fine tune my vm34 round slide.... this outta be interesting. So i have a set of forks for my xs400 that come ready to mount a left hand caliper but every xs400 ive seen in the states only have a rt. front disc brake. Anyone have any suggestions where i can find this lt. front caliper?[/font :blink: ]

Well i am in the final stages of getting this bike on the road for september's voyage to OC MD. bike week. 4hr ride.... I just recieved today, my new clip-on's, and headlamp ears, and motion pro quick trottle kit. Now to fine tune my vm34 round slide.... this outta be interesting. So i have a set of forks for my xs400 that come ready to mount a left hand caliper but every xs400 ive seen in the states only have a rt. front disc brake. Anyone have any suggestions where i can find this lt. front caliper?[/font :blink: ]

you need to caliper and mount bracket from an SR500, xs750, xs850 or xs1100 you will also need the master cylinder fom the xs's mentioned above, to push enough fluid for 2 brake pistons

drewps

• 5 months later...

How did you make out with your single carb? I am in the process of converting my bobber to a single carb, although mine has a somewhat more radical intake putting the carb facing forward by the left cylinder.

The carb I got is off a snowmobile. It starts and runs, but is a little rich. I don't think I am far off though.

What are you running for jets?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online