dragstar help please

ivan
This post is 5132 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ok here we go

i bought a dragstar xvs 125 twin second hand with just over 15000 on the clock i passed my cbt the other day so went to work on her today, all was fine but i was not happy with the bite point on the clutch, so i adjusted it to how i felt it was right all was OK up and down the road gear change was nice and smooth, so great job sorted, now here here comes the ???????,

i left her to stand while i did some work, then while things were a bit slack i thought i would have a play with her so i started her up put her in first then went to put her in neutral and she would not go in also if i let out the clutch and then pulled it back in she would still creep forward until i gave her a rev then she would stand still but the only way i could get her in to neutral was turn her off or give the engine a slight rev while shifting gear how ever when she is warm all seems OK and she does as she is told, could this be due the the engine being cold and the oil thick ?????? (i replaced the oil and filter last week and used oil supplied by my local bike dealer) i had not noticed her do this before as i have rode her up and down my avenue last week to get a little used to her before hitting the main roads, is it something i have done ????? i have tried to adjust the clutch every which way and it will make no diff at all.

hoping some of you folks can shed some light on it for me if you would be so kind

just to let you know i am a motor mechanic and a class 4 mot tester (but when it comes to bikes i am a novice)

regards ivan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

ok here we go

i bought a dragstar xvs 125 twin second hand with just over 15000 on the clock i passed my cbt the other day so went to work on her today, all was fine but i was not happy with the bite point on the clutch, so i adjusted it to how i felt it was right all was OK up and down the road gear change was nice and smooth, so great job sorted, now here here comes the ???????,

i left her to stand while i did some work, then while things were a bit slack i thought i would have a play with her so i started her up put her in first then went to put her in neutral and she would not go in also if i let out the clutch and then pulled it back in she would still creep forward until i gave her a rev then she would stand still but the only way i could get her in to neutral was turn her off or give the engine a slight rev while shifting gear how ever when she is warm all seems OK and she does as she is told, could this be due the the engine being cold and the oil thick ?????? (i replaced the oil and filter last week and used oil supplied by my local bike dealer) i had not noticed her do this before as i have rode her up and down my avenue last week to get a little used to her before hitting the main roads, is it something i have done ????? i have tried to adjust the clutch every which way and it will make no diff at all.

hoping some of you folks can shed some light on it for me if you would be so kind

just to let you know i am a motor mechanic and a class 4 mot tester (but when it comes to bikes i am a novice)

regards ivan

Chief,

the clutch adjuster on the bars is not there to vary the biting point. It is merely to take up the free play on the cable. On most bikes you should leave about an eighth of an inch.The exact amount will be in the manual. Hope this helps

only way i could get her in to neutral was turn her off or give the engine a slight rev while shifting gear how ever when she is warm all seems OK and she does as she is told, could this be due the the engine being cold and the oil thick ?????? (

Yes Ivan it sounds like clutch drag...haha drag...star :D

Just make sure the level is correct, the oil will thin out when warm. Another tip is when slowing to a stop...snick it into neutral just before the bike becomes stationary, you'll find it easier. ;)

As mentioned - You may have too much oil in the sump.

Point of interest - Did you know bikes have a wet clutch?

One of the big differences against cars.

As for being warm - Yes, always warm the bike up for a good minute before riding. Especially these old-fashioned types that don't have all the fancy stuff cars do.

Use this time to go round and do your daily POWER checks:

Petrol

Oil

Water

Electrics

Rubber

Obviously, Drags don't use water but they are Cruisers, so substitute Weather instead ;):lol:

thanks for your help guys :)

looks like i sorted her out, checked the oil again the other night and it seems there was a littlee to much in her belly so i withdrew some and all is fine with the gears now B)

thanks again

regards ivan