75 Yamaha 500

JBennett
This post is 5016 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have one as well. It is a 1975 xs500b. The engine number should start with "371."

From experience, I can tell you that they are nearly impossible to find NOS or reproduction engine parts for. Ebay has been the most useful for me. I found a parts bike on Craigslist for $50 and snatched it up immediately.

Things to look for -

Head cracks. These engines had a penchant for creating cracks in the cylinder heads, but continuing to run. Oil filters are notoriously hard to find. I have managed to collect 2, and they each cost me between 30 and 50 bucks. Air filters are also difficult to find, except on ebay.

The nice thing is that you can pick up a factory service manual from a Yamaha dealership. On the oil filters, there are two different ones that are labeled to "fit" but only one does, I believe that it ends in 09 or 90. I will check later and get back to you.

I've had mine for over 3 years, and I really enjoy it, even with its quirks and the difficulty in finding parts. Let me know if you have any questions!

I have another question. This bike did not come with the key. The guy that I bought it from said I can take it a locksmith or Yamaha dealer and they can make a key for it. Is this true or do I have to come up with a new ignition?

I have another question. This bike did not come with the key. The guy that I bought it from said I can take it a locksmith or Yamaha dealer and they can make a key for it. Is this true or do I have to come up with a new ignition?

check the number on the locks, as the key should fit all of them.

yam should be able to get you one.

• 3 weeks later...

Another question I have. This bike did not come with the front caliper. I bought a '76 xs500 caliper on ebay. I assumed that it would of fit, but it is too big. Are there any other model calipers that fit on a 75 xs500b?

Too big how? Do the mounting spots not fit the forks? Is it too wide for the stock disc?

Pictures would really help here.

Yea the mounting spots on the caliper were too far apart, it looked like it would fit around the disc though. The overall caliper is too big to fit anyways. I would post pictures but I am in college right now which is 2 hours away from my bike :(

• 3 months later...

Okay, I am a few steps ahead now. I finally have it to turn over with the key. My main problem right now are the carburetors. We took them apart and everything is corroded, stuck, and rusted. I want to find a replacement set of carbs for a price that won't break the bank. I have been looking on ebay, but nothing that catches my eye. Any help or suggestions?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online