Yamaha DTR 125 Cutting Out When Pulling Off

ross86
This post is 5143 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey i am new here i am having an issue with my dtr, its been off the road for 13 months so i have given it a new piston,plug,air filter,gaskets,chain and sprockets, carb taken apart and cleaned etc.It starts on the first kick ticks over and revs to any rpm without a problem whilst in neutral...i have ridden it once and traveled 300 yards before it lost power and cut out and now i cant even get that far...its fine until you release the clutch past the biting point instead of moving off the engines dies..its exactly like fuel starvation yet the fuel supply is fine does any one have any suggestions for me? was meant to be mot"ed yesterday :blink:

thank you for your time.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey i am new here i am having an issue with my dtr, its been off the road for 13 months so i have given it a new piston,plug,air filter,gaskets,chain and sprockets, carb taken apart and cleaned etc.It starts on the first kick ticks over and revs to any rpm without a problem whilst in neutral...i have ridden it once and traveled 300 yards before it lost power and cut out and now i cant even get that far...its fine until you release the clutch past the biting point instead of moving off the engines dies..its exactly like fuel starvation yet the fuel supply is fine does any one have any suggestions for me? was meant to be mot"ed yesterday :blink:

thank you for your time.

Hi and welcome to the forum :D

Sounds like your sidestand switch is faulty or has a bad connection. ;)

I have had the same on my bike and it was the side stand switch!!! i spent money on the clutch etc and i thought it wasx fuel problem, you start the bike?.. all is ok revs etc?...you put it into gear and pull away and you die??..then it must be side stand switch they tend to break down ! you need to by-pass the switch get a multi-meter and see what wire does what and by-pass it,i think oldgitonabike is about right!!..maybe wrong but it ticks all the right boxes that my old bike had, good luck and let us no :)

all fixed by pass done the trick :D thanks!

I new it!!! sweet... :P

Guest MaD.VeZ

DONT!!!

Leave it bypassed, that is very dangerous...get a new, or new used switch for your own sake or anyone you sell the bike to later. ;)

I second that, had a side-stand drop down while riding off road, threw me off and trashed my bike and the quad it crashed into after, luckily the 7y/o whose quad it was, wasn't on it at the time.. Its not worth the risk! its there for a reason.

The switch may just be sticky.. they're basic switches, at least have a look and give it a spray with wd40 or the like!

Vez.

I second that, had a side-stand drop down while riding off road, threw me off and trashed my bike and the quad it crashed into after, luckily the 7y/o whose quad it was, wasn't on it at the time.. Its not worth the risk! its there for a reason.

The switch may just be sticky.. they're basic switches, at least have a look and give it a spray with wd40 or the like!

Vez.

I also agree but at least he now knows the problem and can at least ride the bike until he gets a new switch

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online