What would you do if you have a flat tyre?

Reecey
This post is 5152 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Looking as if the gods don't want me to be a biker.

I bought a Yamaha RSX-100 yesterday after passing my CBT on Saturday. Bikes been running pretty good and this morning I had a really good ride.

Just been for a ride before it got very dark and the rear tyre suddenly went flat. Just pushed the bike 2 miles home in great anger! What's the normal process for getting a new tyre fitted? Both tyres are in good shape aesthetically, the bike passed its MOT in Feb with these, so I've either got a puncture or perhaps they're just old and shitty.

I'm just not sure what to do, do I need to transport the bike to a garage some how? I have a car but I doubt the bike will fit in it!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Looking as if the gods don't want me to be a biker.

I bought a Yamaha RSX-100 yesterday after passing my CBT on Saturday. Bikes been running pretty good and this morning I had a really good ride.

Just been for a ride before it got very dark and the rear tyre suddenly went flat. Just pushed the bike 2 miles home in great anger! What's the normal process for getting a new tyre fitted? Both tyres are in good shape aesthetically, the bike passed its MOT in Feb with these, so I've either got a puncture or perhaps they're just old and shitty.

I'm just not sure what to do, do I need to transport the bike to a garage some how? I have a car but I doubt the bike will fit in it!

Congratulations on the pass and the new bike. :thumb:

Take the wheel off the bike and take it to get the tire fixed, or if you're not feeling to good about riding with a plugged tire then get a new one put on.

Congratulations on the pass and the new bike. :thumb:

Take the wheel off the bike and take it to get the tire fixed, or if you're not feeling to good about riding with a plugged tire then get a new one put on.

Thanks for the advice, just been drowning my sorrows in a hot bath. Managed to get a 3 inch screw in one of my car tyres on Saturday too. Been really unlucky recently! I guess I need to disconnect the drum brake cable and chain before removing the rear wheel. I'm thinking as its an old bike it may have similar setup to push bike; as in inner tube and outer tyre. Might I be correct? If this is the case can I just order new tyre and inner tube then fit myself??

i would say you have an inner tube.

If the tube is old, i would renew it.

I usually change my own tyres as I buy off t'internet M&P do innertubes (expensive P+P if bought on own)as well as ebay.

check that the spokes havn't punctured the rim tape inside the wheel. it would also be a good time to check spokes anyway for tightness ( tap with a screwdriver and they should all sound approx the same)

drewps

I'd take the whole wheel along to the tyre place.

Mine do all the fancy stuff, like balancing it etc, all while you wait.

There's also a mobile tyre fitters round our way. They offer a few other services too:

GS Motorcycle Tyres

BTW - Spokes should indeed all sound the same. Generally a resonant 'DINGGGGGGGGGGGG', rather than a dull 'DINK'.

Excellent, thanks for the info chaps. I'm gonna have a go at removing the rear wheel tonight when I get home. The service manual I've got is a scanned one for an RS100, so similar to my RSX-100. The instructions are a bit vague and I'm not familiar with most of the terminology yet but I'll give it a go!

If I can't get it off I'll hopefully get a mobile fitter to do it all for me. A chap at work mentioned that the chain & sprockets could have been damaged due to the flat tyre, is he right?

I'd be more worried about the wheel rims - 2 miles on a flat tyre is a long way...

I'd be more worried about the wheel rims - 2 miles on a flat tyre is a long way...

Wasn't a complete blowout, just deflation. I pushed it home those 2 miles reasonably easy since the tyre wasn't 100% flat so no damage to rims.

Got it all sorted today, I feel like I asked a complete newbie question now that I've had both wheels off, re-set the chain tension and made adjustments to the brakes and clutch! At the time, I really knew nothing about bikes so thank you for your help everyone!

Just had a great ride, really nice to be on the bike again.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online