Oil

martiniman
This post is 5153 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone.

What's the common consensus for the best oil and for that matter spark plugs to use in an xvs 125.

cheers

Martiniman

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Plugs - NGK.

Oil - Silkolene 10-W-40. Semi-synth, I think... I can't recall off the top of my head.

Why, what does your manual say?

Plugs - NGK.

Oil - Silkolene 10-W-40. Semi-synth, I think... I can't recall off the top of my head.

Why, what does your manual say?

Doesnt give a brand, just says Recommended engine oil grade: API service SE, SF, SG type or higher. Just wondered what people thought was the best. Also is it worth paying extra for performance spark plugs?

cheers

Martiniman

Silkolene is a good enough brand.

10-W-40 is pretty much what you want for this climate. They do a 10-W-50 for V-Twins, too.

As for the sparkies... get whatever high performance stuff you want - It's still a 125.

IMO, you don't want high-performance sparkies, so much as ones that will just last.

NGK have a great rep and I don't know any Drag rider who uses anything else.

I also hear good things about Champion.

Silkolene is a good enough brand.

10-W-40 is pretty much what you want for this climate. They do a 10-W-50 for V-Twins, too.

As for the sparkies... get whatever high performance stuff you want - It's still a 125.

IMO, you don't want high-performance sparkies, so much as ones that will just last.

NGK have a great rep and I don't know any Drag rider who uses anything else.

I also hear good things about Champion.

Yep, Silkolene Super 4 10W40 (change the filter too). Spark plugs NGK CR7HSA, ease the old ones out carefully, same with the new ones, ease them in without cross threading. Iridium spark plugs are 5 times times the price with no real evidence of improved performance. Change the air filter too.

• Who's Online (See full list)