if you could make a custom part

Paulwhite
This post is 5137 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi there im thinking of building me own aluminium furnace in the back yard and just need ideas as to what to make for me 1st try at casting, thaught might as well do something for a bike.

any ideas welcome

cheers. Paul.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Guest MaD.VeZ

Would have to be a piston (like the guy did in the film 'worlds fastest indian' ) or maybe a set of foot pegs would be a good place to start.

You will have to post pics if you do, a furnace would be a interesting project.

Vez.

well its going to be me 1st try at casting so i think a barrel or piston is a bit advanced for my skills lol maybe in the future

i would post pics but i cant as i dont pay membership i might have to sort that when i start building the furnace

yeah foot pegs are a good idea my idea is to make the bike lighter by replacing heavy steel with light aluminium but dont want to compromise on overall strength

im going to use the lost wax technique its a bit long winded but produces the best results

cheers for the ideas got anymore?

Guest MaD.VeZ

well its going to be me 1st try at casting so i think a barrel or piston is a bit advanced for my skills lol maybe in the future

i would post pics but i cant as i dont pay membership i might have to sort that when i start building the furnace

yeah foot pegs are a good idea my idea is to make the bike lighter by replacing heavy steel with light aluminium but dont want to compromise on overall strength

im going to use the lost wax technique its a bit long winded but produces the best results

cheers for the ideas got anymore?

You can post pictures without membership, see this thread in faq http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/14685-posting-pictures/ 

As for simple projects, maybe just start with a bolt, say from the engine casing or similar. Bar ends also jump to mind.

Vez.

ok a bolt is a bit too simple lol might do a skull shaped headlamp

finned engine cover!

new tacho/speedo mounts/bezel?

luminum rear hugger?

oh i forgot to mention the part will b going on a xvs 125 with a custom engine so lots of things could be done. :D

Would be an exhaust for my R1 i reckon, a titanium 4-2-1 system, just 1 nice simple Termi can behind the foot brake, 08 R6 sorta way(or like the Moto GP bikes). Not a big fan of the twin exit under seat affair.

good idea but dont think iv got the resources to do them properly i.e custom lenses (for lights) plus i dont want to compromise on safety so im sorry but handlebars and frames are a no go at the mo. il just stick to the usual hand controls, grips, pegs, bits of bodywork ooo might make a belly pan lol

Guest MaD.VeZ

good idea but dont think iv got the resources to do them properly i.e custom lenses (for lights) plus i dont want to compromise on safety so im sorry but handlebars and frames are a no go at the mo. il just stick to the usual hand controls, grips, pegs, bits of bodywork ooo might make a belly pan lol

Belly pan sounds like a cracking idea B)

You have really got my interest with this casting project, if you don't post pics i think my head may explode :lol:

lol well i still need to source some parts b4 i can start building the furnace i.e an old oil drum and an old gas bottle might take a trip to me scrappy. its surprising how simple it it to build a furnace and the things you could cast is endless iv been designing a metal lathe with a milling attachment for a project then i can use that to make more complex items. but yeah il take pics of the whole proses when i get the parts i need. :D

Guest MaD.VeZ

lol well i still need to source some parts b4 i can start building the furnace i.e an old oil drum and an old gas bottle might take a trip to me scrappy. its surprising how simple it it to build a furnace and the things you could cast is endless iv been designing a metal lathe with a milling attachment for a project then i can use that to make more complex items. but yeah il take pics of the whole proses when i get the parts i need.  :D

Excellent B) 

When you post some pics and i can see how successful you have been, i may even have a go myself :P 

you might b waiting a while MaD.VeZ iv just got me dragstar back so im workin on that for the timebeing but il repost when i get round to building it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online