New member looking for new bike

Steveocee
This post is 5108 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

My name's Steve and im new :)

I live in Derby and am looking into getting a new bike to get me from Derby to Nott's on the weekdays and then out for fun on the weekends.

I used to have a Derbi Sender a few years ago but got rid as soon as i got my car license and now see that wasn't such a good idea.

I'm potentially looking into getting a WR125X, thinking maybe in black or maybe white.

Just looking for some opinions on them really, i will be mod'ing it a little bit, having quite a big background in car modifications so it wont stay stock for too long but im wondering what potential they have as well?

Regards

Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

welcome mate

erm do you want it for commuting or to arse about on?

go for one of the yamaha super moto range as they are have looks and perform fairly well

or you could go for one of the 125 yamaha motorbike ranges like the baby 125cc R6 or whichever one it is :)

Wanting it really for a 13 mile journey to work (and then back at night) then to mess around on at the weekend.

I'm very undecided over the WR125 (supermoto version) or the YZF-R125 (race bike stylee)

Ive had an off road design in the past and like it and from the specs both the above ^^ seem to have exactly the same engine

Also checked on insurance and its coming in around £1k :o (think ill be taking the free insurance offered lol)

Failte Steveocee to the YOC cool.gif

Back to bikeing eeeeh !

"Once" in the blood, tis in the blood forever !!!

WR125x would be a good bike both on and off road.

WR125r is more of a on road bike but ok in the dirt

DT125r still the best lil bike going. Tough as nails!

Sounds like your after a trial style, so stick to your gut instint and you wont be disapointed -- specialy if you plan to mess about at the weekend. smile.gif

Guest MaD.VeZ

Welcome to the forum Steve. 

What 2 wheels said ^^^ :P . Except I would stay away from the newer DT's.

A grand for insurance, that sounds alot, wasn't direct line was it?

Vez.

Welcome back to biking steve, YBR is a good bike in my opinion too but i must admit i like the style of 'trail' bikes ;)

Thanks, i just have a thing for trail/supermoto style bikes i think lol

Failte Steveocee to the YOC cool.gif

Back to bikeing eeeeh !

"Once" in the blood, tis in the blood forever !!!

WR125x would be a good bike both on and off road.

WR125r is more of a on road bike but ok in the dirt

DT125r still the best lil bike going. Tough as nails!

Sounds like your after a trial style, so stick to your gut instint and you wont be disapointed -- specialy if you plan to mess about at the weekend. smile.gif

I've always loved bikes, i hated my little 50 as it wasnt fast enough, now i have the chance to live the boyhood dream lol

Welcome to the forum Steve. 

What 2 wheels said ^^^ :P . Except I would stay away from the newer DT's.

A grand for insurance, that sounds alot, wasn't direct line was it?

Vez.

Newer DT's (sorry if i sound stupid) would that cover the new WR's aswell?

£1k quote was with Bennetts and a rather rude person from Nash told me i should be thankful for their quote of just over £3k as he "knew" nobody else would touch me!!

Guest MaD.VeZ

Newer DT's (sorry if i sound stupid) would that cover the new WR's aswell?

£1k quote was with Bennetts and a rather rude person from Nash told me i should be thankful for their quote of just over £3k as he "knew" nobody else would touch me!!

No fella not the WR's, I mean the DT125RE and the DTX, the rolling chassis parts are cheaper on them(yokes, swing-arm, shock etc.), compared to the older DT125R's which are a more solid bike.

£3K damn, cheeky sods saying that to you, hope you told them where to go in the same manner.

Vez

• 2 months later...

I'm afraid that we're all going to be paying a lot more for insurance this year. :( I'm a self-employed private investigator and 90% of my business is investigating fraudulent insurance claims.) None of them from bikers I might add. We get people deliberately inducing collisions and arranging collisions with people in order to facilitate personal injury claims. The claimants usually only have TPFT and therefore also claim for storage for their damaged vehicle and a hire vehicle.

I have a case at the moment where the driver of a 4WD collided with a parked Merc, which was empty, and only resulted in damage to the Merc's n/s rear light cluster but we have claims from two 'injured' occupants, vehicle hire (the claimant is a minicab driver) and storage. I had a snoop at his home and noticed he has a garage so his storage claim will definitiely not be met. We're in court in Sept and I will be giving evidence and sincerely hope we kick his a**e!

I got my car insurance renewal quote two weeks ago; an increase of 80% and I have six years NCD! I managed to get the quote down but am paying 15% more than I did last year. My bike policy does not expire until August but I'm not looking forward to the quote and cannot understand why it is that I can get an NCD of up to 60% on my car but nobody'll give me more than 30% for my bikes?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online