yamaha drag star 125 won't start

ShamahaDragstar
This post is 5187 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey there fellow owners,

I've recently purchased my first bike, the yamaha dragstar 125. I've been told that its a first time starter, and has a very good engine by the person who sold me the bike. When I went to pick it up, the owner was able to start it straight away, even though it was snowing and very cold. But, ever since I got it home and into the shed. I haven't been able to start it. It made a good almost starting noise the first time I've tried starting it. But evry time I try to start it it makes a weird noise and the battery goes very weak. The noise it makes is almost that of an old horn. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could get her started? Thanks in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey there fellow owners,

I've recently purchased my first bike, the yamaha dragstar 125. I've been told that its a first time starter, and has a very good engine by the person who sold me the bike. When I went to pick it up, the owner was able to start it straight away, even though it was snowing and very cold. But, ever since I got it home and into the shed. I haven't been able to start it. It made a good almost starting noise the first time I've tried starting it. But evry time I try to start it it makes a weird noise and the battery goes very weak. The noise it makes is almost that of an old horn. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could get her started? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like your battery needs charging

Also, check how much petrol is in the tank... if there's not much turn the fuel switch to reserve (or prime). When mine 'ran out' of petrol it was a bugger to get started when I first switched to reserve.

[Another thing, make sure it's in neutral (or the side is up & clutch pulled in)]

The petrol tank is full, it's on neutral and I always put the choke on. I've checked the fuse, seemed alright. So yeah, you guys are prolly right, I was a little suspicious of the battery because of how quickly it runs dry when I try to turn the engine on. I'm gonna change the battery an dlet you guys know if it works. Btw, would it be easier to just buy a new battery rather than recharge it if ~I don't have the kit to recharge the battery? And would I be better off buying a battery for it from a garage or the internet? Cheers for all your help.

If it's the battery that's the problem you can try and bump start it. Sit on bike, turn electrics on, choke on, side stand up, put in 1st or 2nd keeping the clutch in, then either roll down a slope or paddle the bike to a speed, let clutch out and give the throttle a turn.

When my brother's VT125's battery gave up, it would charge + start a couple of times but would loose all charge quickly. I bought a new one from a shop which came fully charged - once plugged in was ready to go. May have cost a bit more than off net, but it's an instant fix...

Hope you sort the bike out soon

all very well buying a battery but as most batterys dont come fully charged you will still need to fully charge up the battery to get the most out of your battery and prolonge its life.

one of the first investments you should make as a biker is a battery charger,as you dont know if your battery is knackered it could just have gone flat through the bike not being used so its false economy to just buy a new battery, try borrowing a battery charger of some one,where in the country are you? maybe somebody off the forum lives near you.

the battery off the 125 dragstar is a maintenance free so you dont need to top up the electrolite. i have just replaced the battery on my dragstar125 got it from halfords a

Bosch Motorcycle Battery 4AS YTX5L-BS £37.99 not the exact battery for the bike but good enough my last one lasted 2 years.

I went on a few websites to see what battery types the Dragstar would be able to handle. And the two main ones seemed to be the YB7L-B and CTZ7-S batteries. They were in the £30-33 range. As for borrowing a charger of someone, at the moment I'm on a bit of a tight schedule, so I wouldnt have time to go borrow and then return it. So I guess I'll just have a look around the recommended shops an buy the battery and charger together. Hopefully that'll get her started, I'll keep you guys informed. Thanks for all your help so far.

going off on a slight tangent here, but i cannot bestow the virtues of an "optimate" battery optimiser enough, (e-bay,£43) the only charger you'll ever need for a motorcycle, PARTICULALY a motorcycle that isnt used regulaly. my last motorcycle was 9 years old when i sold her and it still had the original battery on it. All my motorcycles over the last 12 years have always been connected up to the "optimate" 24/7 and ive never purchased or had a single battery issue.... my optimate is now 12 yrs old and doesnt owe me a penny. A really good piece of kit, to know you can go to your bike safe in the knowledge, not only will your battery be fully charged, but also, if there are any issues with its performance, the LED's on the "optimate" will bring it to your attention because it monitors, charges and tests your battery continually, and it works !, well!

I got a new battery for it an hour or so ago. Turned her on, and the engine started on the first attempt. Never have I heard a sweeter sound, well apart from this girl.....never have I heard such a sweet non-human sound. I can't wait to book the MOT, and get her on the road. Thanks again everyone.

Glad you're sorted. Hope the MOT goes well + happy riding :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online