Front Brake Caliper Seals and Pistons

AustenM
This post is 5202 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, my front brake was never great, now I am overhauling it and I notice the rubber seals are shot. I cannot get the pistons out by pumping the brake lever as the seals are gone and I have no access to compressed air...How can I get the pistons out?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Disconnect the fluid pipe from the caliper, (your gonna have to start from scratch anyway), remove caliper, get a strong speaker magnet and use this to draw the piston out very slowly and gently,

HTH

Get a syringe, commonly found in injet re-fill kits (and other darker places), suck out the brake fluid completely. now use the syringe to fill the caliper with water. Tap to remove air pockets (bubbles)

Place caliper in a plastic bag in your freezer with the fill hole uppermost so the water doesnt run out. The water will freeze and expand and push the piston out more...whether its enough i dont know, you may have to let it thaw and introduce more water and repeat.

Never done this or heard it done...just a thought as this winter we have much damage at work due to frozen pipelines bursting ;)

Hi all, my front brake was never great, now I am overhauling it and I notice the rubber seals are shot. I cannot get the pistons out by pumping the brake lever as the seals are gone and I have no access to compressed air...How can I get the pistons out?

If the price of seals and pistons ( they may need looking at too) is anything like my old suzuki it'll just as likely be cheaper to scan evil-bay for some ready sorted replacement caliper(s)