xs 400 saga

pepperami
This post is 5262 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

the saga of me putting together an XS400 out of junk bits continues!!!!

However i had a bit of luck today :) ... i thought that i was going to need to replace the fork-seals.. but i dont need to.

i pulled the fork-leg dust covers off today and the seals were nice and clean & dry.

most of it`s there now such as a running engine in the frame, all the electrics appear to work, both brakes function, seat, tank, carbs, exhaust...i`ve even changed the oil & filter!!!!and no swarf in the spent oil :)

she will never win a beauty contest, but i will feel an enormous sense of achievement if i get her to the MOT station under her own steam

NOW does anybody have any input regarding changing specs on a bike?? (was a 250 and now it`s a 400) who do i inform?, will it keep it`s original number-plate.

has anyone done this before and did you have much hassle???

any info is helpful... Thanks :)

EDIT NOTE!! pictures at end of thread :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i dont believe it :angry2::icon_evil::icon_twisted: .... i just got the front brake sorted and i notice a weep coming from the lever??? it turns out that the rubbers in the reservoir had perished!!!! and as everything had glued itself together with corrosion, i broke the tiny switch as i took it all apart :icon_twisted:

lucky for me that i have a donor bike with a spare lever on it but now i have to fix the problem and do all that bleeding again!!!

the things we go through to get our bikes on the road

oh well, today was`nt all bad...3 steps forward and only 1 step back today.... it`s better that i notice it now, rather than it failing completly when i am out on the road in heavy traffic :)

STOP PRESS: i`ve just got the new lever on from the donor bike :) and my front brake is now working again :) ... tomorrow i have to wire it in..(headlight off and all that) but it`s dead easy on this model (he say`s hopfuly)

just notify the dvla re: engine size and engine number.

and of course insurance. shouldn't have probs there as the running gear is the same as the 400 so should'nt have to be an inspection!!

drewps

Don't play around with brakes. Spend money on good parts, new fluid and do it right. Stopping is more important than anything.

Here in the US they never check the engine versus the title or frame. You can bring anything in and as long as it isn't too loud it flies.

Don't play around with brakes. Spend money on good parts, new fluid and do it right. Stopping is more important than anything.

Here in the US they never check the engine versus the title or frame. You can bring anything in and as long as it isn't too loud it flies.

I would`nt dream of skimping when it come to safety on this bike... it`s got new pads & shoes and all seals have been renewed if they needed it..... all fluids have been changed as a matter of course..... i find not being able to brake can be quite painful :huh:

new brake lever wired in and working :) ....... now here comes the hard part??? getting the damm thing to tick over nicley..... i can get it to tick over at about 900rpm but any lower and it starts to cut out now and again.

i have been through the inlet rubbers and air box and i am fairly sure that i dont have an air leak??.

any suggestions folks ??

new brake lever wired in and working :) ....... now here comes the hard part??? getting the damm thing to tick over nicley..... i can get it to tick over at about 900rpm but any lower and it starts to cut out now and again.

i have been through the inlet rubbers and air box and i am fairly sure that i dont have an air leak??.

any suggestions folks ??

tick over is 1250rpm, suprised yours could at 900!!!! :o

UPDATE!!! :) went and got a new number plate this morning... blimey! they dont half make you jump through some hoops to get a new number plate.

i had to have my license, a utility bill addressed to me, and the log book before they would issue a new plate.

It`s done now and it`s on the bike :) .

this afternoon i am going to put on the exhaust and the pins in the seat hinges.

if i keep this up i will run out of excuses for not taking it to the MOT station :D

the worst is to come yet ..... getting that tick-over just right and ensuring it`s emissions are right... not looking forward to this bit.

i can get it to kind of tick-over a 900... but it`s lumpy .

maybe i can afford to take the revs up a little

no tickover IS 1250rpm

Do you know.. i get the feeling your sure the tick-over is 1250rpm.. :unsure: i think i will try getting it to tick-over at 1250rpm you never know that might just work??? :)

i rode it tonight :D just up the driveway (private road, not mine i might add) and so far so good, fingers crossed.

i keep finding little things that need doing on it, pins, clips, bits to tighten or grease.

ensuring it`s emissions are right...

Emissions " u shud see a kwaker triple on cold start rolleyes.gif Tree huggers nightmarelaugh.gif , Any way pepper" wot a speedy rebuild , well done . post some pics please,

Emissions " u shud see a kwaker triple on cold start rolleyes.gif Tree huggers nightmarelaugh.gif , Any way pepper" wot a speedy rebuild , well done . post some pics please,

i see by your profile that you are one of the loons still riding an H2 triple????...

i am not so good at this pc stuff but i plan to put some/a picture/s up as soon as i learn to do it???? if it stops raining, i will take some pictures in the daylight tomorrow.

it was`nt quite as speedy as it appeared as i was in the process of putting it all back together before i joined.... plus i have a lot more time these days :( unemployed... hey-ho!

Do you know.. i get the feeling your sure the tick-over is 1250rpm.. :unsure: i think i will try getting it to tick-over at 1250rpm you never know that might just work??? :)

:P:lol:

The saga continues!!! now i am doing all the final bits to get it ready for it`s MOT..... it`s stopped sparking on the left hand cylinder :angry: anyway i am hoping that it`s not to serious (fingers crossed)and it`s just points and not a coil breaking down..

luckly i have a new set of coils on the way that i was going to use on the next project... (an XS250 rat bike) using up all the left over bits.

i cant do the tick-over thing until i get this sparking issue sorted... Aaaaahhhhhh!!!!!

i read somewhere that someone had put a Boysen electronic ignition kit on thier XS.... anyone????? info please?? was it easy to do???? did it cost the earth??

cool pepps

is it the 3n7 model with isolated engine mounts?

get polishing thoses engine cases :lol:

BTW I put the pikkies on here in case you though it was for forum pixies ;)

Top man Mr D thats what i spent all yesterday afternoon trying to do :o

i still say it would look better with a single seat, teardrop tank, shorter exhaust, & wire spoked wheels :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online