First 600 mile service

kru
This post is 5265 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Dear All

Can some one please tell me what the first 600 mile service for a yamaha yzf r125 will involve?

if it is not a lot then i may do it my self as i m broooooooke and do not really wana fork out a lot of money to the dealer?

please advice meeeeeee

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Dear All

Can some one please tell me what the first 600 mile service for a yamaha yzf r125 will involve?

if it is not a lot then i may do it my self as i m broooooooke and do not really wana fork out a lot of money to the dealer?

please advice meeeeeee

the 600mile service is basic! as the bike is brand new and put together by idiots working for a tub of smarties a day occaisionally you get bolts come undone! any probs will show in the 1st 600 miles!

DO NOT do the service yourself! you will invalidate your warranty! and any probs taht may arise will be yours to pay for! let them do it! they top up your oil, look over the brakes, check they are wearing evenly etc but what ever you do DO NOT service it yourself! pay the 50ish notes and keep your warranty

the 600mile service is basic! as the bike is brand new and put together by idiots working for a tub of smarties a day occaisionally you get bolts come undone! any probs will show in the 1st 600 miles!

DO NOT do the service yourself! you will invalidate your warranty! and any probs taht may arise will be yours to pay for! let them do it! they top up your oil, look over the brakes, check they are wearing evenly etc but what ever you do DO NOT service it yourself! pay the 50ish notes and keep your warranty

thankkkks

dealer said it wud be around £100...is that a fair price??

thanks for the advice...i shall not service it myself...i was thinkin about not gettin it serviced as nothing really seems wrong but i guess if it is requried then it is required

ta for your reesponse :)

Dear All

please advice meeeeeee

I would STRONGLY advise you to have the service done. You're thinking that it is straight forward is correct, servicing a bike is not rocket science.

BUT

Yamaha could have service bulletins and modifactions that need to be incorporated and specific items to be looked at to ensure your personal safety and avoid you having mechanical problems in the future. You may not be informed of these, they will just be carried as part of the service(I used to work in Yamaha dealership)

Besides this a bike with a missing first service will be worth significantly less when you sell it or if you have a warranity claim the first service not being carried out will be used as a reason for the claim being refused. If I were a dealer I wouldn't entertain buying back such a bike at part ex.

I would STRONGLY advise you to have the service done. You're thinking that it is straight forward is correct, servicing a bike is not rocket science.

BUT

Yamaha could have service bulletins and modifactions that need to be incorporated and specific items to be looked at to ensure your personal safety and avoid you having mechanical problems in the future. You may not be informed of these, they will just be carried as part of the service(I used to work in Yamaha dealership)

Besides this a bike with a missing first service will be worth significantly less when you sell it or if you have a warranity claim the first service not being carried out will be used as a reason for the claim being refused. If I were a dealer I wouldn't entertain buying back such a bike at part ex.

thanks thats useful information about service bulletins and modifactions....i didnt consider it....

i totaly want a r6 so i will probably part ex this wunce i get me big bike licence...or hopefully if i have enough paper then ill keep this and buy the r6 :P

ne idea on what the service shoudl cost? dealer quoted £100...

£100 sounds a bit excessive, is this the same dealer who sold you the bike? and did you buy it new?

#

if so, then they should only charge you for consumables, such as oil and filter. I'd have put the figure closer to £50 (£10-15 filter- maybe? and £30ish for oil). the labour is free of charge. At £100 it sounds like they are charging you time as well.

By carrying out the service, you are not neccasarily going to void the warranty, you are under no legal obligation to have the bike serviced by a dealer in order to retain your warranty - you must, however carry out the service in accordance with the service schedule (which are only made readily available to dealers funnily enough!). I'm assuming you are in the UK? clearly rules differ from country to country.

You can see any recalls or safety campaigns on the VOSA website -> http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/onlineservices/vehiclerecalls/vehiclerecalls.htm

Dealers will buy bikes without service history although you will take a hit on the value. From speaking to others this is generally less than the cost of dealer service costs, although when you add up the consumables it works out a little more.

On balance, unless you know what you are doing, are competent, have the right tools and manuals then really, you are best taking it to the dealer, at this early age of the bike.

£100 sounds a bit excessive, is this the same dealer who sold you the bike? and did you buy it new?

#

if so, then they should only charge you for consumables, such as oil and filter. I'd have put the figure closer to £50 (£10-15 filter- maybe? and £30ish for oil). the labour is free of charge. At £100 it sounds like they are charging you time as well.

By carrying out the service, you are not neccasarily going to void the warranty, you are under no legal obligation to have the bike serviced by a dealer in order to retain your warranty - you must, however carry out the service in accordance with the service schedule (which are only made readily available to dealers funnily enough!). I'm assuming you are in the UK? clearly rules differ from country to country.

You can see any recalls or safety campaigns on the VOSA website -> http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/onlineservices/vehiclerecalls/vehiclerecalls.htm

Dealers will buy bikes without service history although you will take a hit on the value. From speaking to others this is generally less than the cost of dealer service costs, although when you add up the consumables it works out a little more.

On balance, unless you know what you are doing, are competent, have the right tools and manuals then really, you are best taking it to the dealer, at this early age of the bike.

Not all the mods have to be published on the VOSA web site, if its a mod to stop a later failure but doesn't have a safety issue they won't publish it.

And yes legally you might be correct, but when you come to sell the bike no amount of stating that legally you are in the right will put a buyer's mind at ease about a 'dodgy' first service!

Not all the mods have to be published on the VOSA web site, if its a mod to stop a later failure but doesn't have a safety issue they won't publish it.

I'm fairly sure I said recalls and safety campaigns, Oh yes, that's right I did....

And yes legally you might be correct,

I am.

You might also like to know that a manufacturer is under no legal obligation to provide a warranty. Your legal rights actually lie with the retailer not the manufacturer under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as ammended). The only reason we can quote warranty is because it is laid down in the contract of sale, and the manufacturer can still refuse to action any work if they believe the goods haven't been used in accordance with the instructions.

but when you come to sell the bike no amount of stating that legally you are in the right will put a buyer's mind at ease about a 'dodgy' first service!

Nope, but the drop in value will, and does. In any case a service history doesn't have any real standing, all it actually shows is that the stamp used to make the mark in the book had ink on it. It has no legal standing as to the value or mechanical state of the bike. It's a trust thing, if I buy a bike from my local dealer and the bike has been serviced by the same dealer, and they tell me they did the work - then I would trust them. I certainly wouldn't trust the sevice record in a private sale, or an unknown dealer. In these cases you have to satify yourself that the bike is sound. The service record is not a legal document, nor is it or does it form any form of contract unless through a trader where you can use the Sales of Goods Act to ensure the goods are 'as advertised' ie, if they are advertised with a 'full service history' then the retailer has to be able to show that to the stisfaction of a court. Unfortunatly the same act is very weak when it comes to second hand bikes, especially if the bike hasn't been used in accordance with manufacturers guidlines (ie - the service schedule) in which case the trader (in the case of a second hand sale) could use the same act to defend himself, leaving you to persure any claim through civil litigation - It's abloody minefield.

In short, unless you are happy defending your rights, and know them, and know how to successfully defend them then it is far easier, and more cost effective to take the bike to a dealer and have it serviced by them, as I have already stated.

Anyone with any knowledge about bike will be able to spot a pig relativly easy, if you are ever in any doubt then go and buy one from a dealer, yes you pay a premium but you know you have some recourse should something go wrong. It doesn't mean you are getting a better bike though.....

thanks

i will get it serviced from dealer (the same dealer who i bought the bike off brand newwww)

yeah i think £100 sound excessive too and they are charging me for time but i shall have a word and see if it can be lowered

i live near HA9 7HB.....can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative if they know....