Timing setup

vic-fzr600
This post is 5305 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all, seeking the usual expert opinions.

As you may have noticed in my other thread, had another prob with latest FZR purchase.

Took it out for a run few days ago & hit problems.

Turns out the thread holding plug on cylinder 2 stripped leading to the obvious problems!

I've sorted local company to sort the head out, just need to strip it out first.

Kinda tempted to do it myself but bit concerned about the timing / timing chain setup etc due to my inexperience with this area.

Am i better to be sensible (for a change!) & pay someone who knows what they're at to strip/rebuild it, or is it easy enough to do myself?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Whats the job then. is it remove the head, drill and re-thread and fit a helicoil insert?

Exactly right. I love helicoils, fixed many many problems when I was a fitter! lol

The firm i have arranged to do it can do it with head still attached to engine, then hoover filings out.

But i'm a little sceptical (perhaps just being silly) that they'll get them all so gonna remove head.

Conscious that i have little experience in stripping & rebuilding to this extent & bit wary of feckin it up!

Plus thinking now would be good time to change head gasket too.

i would consider letting them do it with the head on, save a lot of work, ask them about the likelihood that they will get all the swarf out, dont forget its not a 2 stroke so none will get in the bearings and the swarf will be soft aluminium so I reckon on it not damaging the bore. maybe they blow compressed air into the exhaust port with the valve open...just a thought. head gaskets are usually changed only if and when they fail.

i would consider letting them do it with the head on, save a lot of work, ask them about the likelihood that they will get all the swarf out, dont forget its not a 2 stroke so none will get in the bearings and the swarf will be soft aluminium so I reckon on it not damaging the bore. maybe they blow compressed air into the exhaust port with the valve open...just a thought. head gaskets are usually changed only if and when they fail.

As usual, I greatly appreciate your advice!

Think i'll give them a ring & see.

Cheers OGOAB! :thumb:

I'm busting to get it back on the road, want a few trips out before the really bad weather sets in.

Hey OGOAB, I'm back for your opinions again! (Sorry for being a pain)

Engine came out yday for thread repair.

One of the reasons i thought about replacing head gasket (as we debated) was i spotted something i considered bit odd.

There seems to be a bit of gasket protruding from under head. Have tried to show in pic below.

To me, it almost seems like gasket has been put in upside down & that tab on the gasket should correspond to the boss on the head.

Image259.jpg

But thought i'd ask your opinion please.

You need to ask yourself this, is the shape of the head where the gasket sits...exactly symetrical? I douubt it and would think its on the right way.

Also, that 'boss' looks like it overhangs so gasket wont be doing anything under it, can you confirm this?

You need to ask yourself this, is the shape of the head where the gasket sits...exactly symetrical? I douubt it and would think its on the right way.

Also, that 'boss' looks like it overhangs so gasket wont be doing anything under it, can you confirm this?

I can confirm that there isn't anything that would contact gasket on bottom face. But was curious for your opinion so thought i'd ask!

I can confirm that there isn't anything that would contact gasket on bottom face. But was curious for your opinion so thought i'd ask!

As a personal fan of the 'If it ain't broke club'. If the only issue is the plug, the engine is running well, not using oil/water etc and it can be fixed with the motor intact, why worry. Like og said a little bit of ally dust wont hurt anything on a diesel :D .

Discovered today that the tab in question should be there.

The little cutouts you can see are actually the word 'UP' indicating orientation of the gasket.

You learn something new every day!!