XVS650 restriction removal

grey haired git
This post is 5353 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I had a restrictor fitted to my 2004, XVS650 when I purchased it, I am now out of my 2 years and now want it removed.

The restrictor is supplied by FI International and was fitted by my local dealer. I am not sure where it is located (the restrictor not my local dealer), air intake side or exhaust side and if it is a big job to remove it.

If I can do the work myself I can save £50.00 and then spend it on shiny things for the bike.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I had a restrictor fitted to my 2004, XVS650 when I purchased it, I am now out of my 2 years and now want it removed.

The restrictor is supplied by FI International and was fitted by my local dealer. I am not sure where it is located (the restrictor not my local dealer), air intake side or exhaust side and if it is a big job to remove it.

If I can do the work myself I can save £50.00 and then spend it on shiny things for the bike.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Why not ask the dealer what they did?

Get it done by the dealer.

If you fuck it up, you'll feel stupid and it'll cost more. If they fuck it up, they have to fix it for free!!!

It will also depend on the type of restrictor kit they fitted - the one on my XVS1300A is a throttle restrictor, whereas some are on the carbs, some are on the exhausts, some are on the inlet manifold (only know this from FI's website - dealer told me mine was a throttle one).

I'd get the work done by the dealer - I haggled the restrictor kit + removal for free when I bought my bike, but for me my restiction is up at the time of the bike's 1st service so my dealer is going to do it then (but they get the service fee from me)

Really weird on my 1300 as the throttle only moves about a quarter of a turn before it's 'fully open' - when I 1st got the bike thought it was impossible to keep the throttle below 1/3 open as handbook suggests, but once the dealer told me it was a throttle restrictor made more sense...

Hope this helps?