81 xs 400 Clutch issue

Jryan88
This post is 5405 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

bike worked fine, then i changed the handle bars, in doing so i did break the throttle cable. but anyway now the clutch wont disengage.. and the cable is not broken, and i've playing with adjustment. i cannot get the back tire to spin freely in gear. and in neutral the kick start spins the tire.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

bike worked fine, then i changed the handle bars, in doing so i did break the throttle cable. but anyway now the clutch wont disengage.. and the cable is not broken, and i've playing with adjustment. i cannot get the back tire to spin freely in gear. and in neutral the kick start spins the tire.

check the clutch plates, you'd be taking off the right side cover after draining the oil and taking the plates out after removing the keeper plate, if they stick together douse them in wd-40 and clean each one then put them back in and reassemble. If the plates stick together it will stop your clutch from disengaging because they have to seperate for it to do so. good luck!

i'd check the worm gear on the clutch cover is not broken. its only plastic and I'm not sure how you can break a 200lb breaking strain cable unless its rotten!!

IF the bike is definately in neutral the clutch should be out of the picture as it does not engage the engine, only the input shaft of the transmissiion.

If you have not already done so, remove the left side cover where the clutch cable enters and see if there is anything broken or jammed.

Spinning the rear tire in neutral when you turn the engine indicates a transmission problem.

ahh it turned out ok, i know know why, or how, nor do i want to know.... it just started working..

i started it up on the stand, put it in 1st, gassed it, put in clutch and hit rear break, and it started to work..

any ideas on now to get off those allen screws when they don't wanna turn?

ahh it turned out ok, i know know why, or how, nor do i want to know.... it just started working..

i started it up on the stand, put it in 1st, gassed it, put in clutch and hit rear break, and it started to work..

any ideas on now to get off those allen screws when they don't wanna turn?

impact driver with a tight fitting allen key or basj on an over size star/torx key

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online