The cost of motoring!

ExPat Matt
This post is 7237 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just got my road tax bill, 117 euro's, i thought, bugger, thats expensive!

But when i think back to what i had to pay to keep my bikes on the road in the uk, it seems cheap.

Road tax for a litre bike 117 euro's (75 quid)

Insurance (3rd party) 237 euro's (160 quid)

MOT....it doesnt exist here for bikes!

235 quid to keep a litre bike on the road for a year doesnt seem so bad after all!

How do your costs compare?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It cost's me $30 every 2 years for registration........& $130 a year for insurance on a 3/4 ltr. bike :wink: .......can't get anywhere near that with a car :wink:

tax £60 / year

mot £14 / year

ins £120 / year

petrol 80p/litre :evil: = 80% TAX :evil:

Total for my vehicles:- These being XS250, RD350LC, RD500, GSXR600K2, R1 (highly modded)

Insurance £900

Road tax £225

MOT £76.00

Bloody 'ell never realised it was so much and that doesn't include what i spend on tyres etc OR include my GSXR1000k1 as that was a cat b write off and is for track use only! Now I no why my old man wants me to start collecting shoes like "normal" women!

Just for my DT:

Road tax- £60

Insurance- £400

MOT- doesn't count

road tax cant be £60 for a DT surely its £35 for the year MAX

cheers mate, its alright but i feel it lacks in acceleration and top end compared to my mates skylines, he's got a rieju spike and that nails mine however im an alright rider so am starting to keep up with him more now. Everyone says to me that there quotes for fully comp were well expensive, u should try norwich union there wicked :lol:

NU are the biggest rip off merchants around.

Cheap quote to get you, then if you want to change your bike and move up a group or two then you'll be hammered.

Change down a group and any refund you should have had, they'll keep as an administration fee. :roll:

And your renewal quote will bear no resemblance to your quote for the first year.

NU are the biggest rip off merchants around.

Cheap quote to get you, then if you want to change your bike and move up a group or two then you'll be hammered.  

Change down a group and any refund you should have had, they'll keep as an administration fee.  :roll:  

And your renewal quote will bear no resemblance to your quote for the first year.

I could go with them for one year and then change companies again...? You know more about it than me thoguh. I'm happy to stick with my independent blokey, I've got a guaranteed lower rate next year as long as I don't have to claim