RD 400 master cylinder on a XS 500

XS 500
This post is 5417 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My front master cylinder on the XS 500 is leaking oil all over the place. It drained the container on two brakes and the entire handlebar got a big oily mess. Now I wonder if I can use a RD 400 front master cylinder instead? I can get a completely working kit for about 90 usd and a rebuild kit for my XS 500 cylinder would cost me around 65 usd plus taxes.

Is it the wrong way to go, would you renovate the old one instead? I am going to keep it but I need the bike up and running soon again. Was thinking also if there is something more that is wrong with the cylinder since it leaks so fast that a rebuild kit might not fix it?

Suggestions please :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As long as there isn't any damage or rust almost any master cylinder can be rebuilt. Sometimes you need circle clip removers to get retaining clips out, and you'll need denatured alcohol to clean the parts. A clean work area is essential. I use a shotgun cleaning brush to scrub the bore, the brass is very soft and does not damage the steel bore. It also helps clean the entryway of any rust on the outside.

Replacing with a used MC is always an easier option as long as the MC is working properly. I think any used MC will need rebuilding at some point so you are only delaying the inevitable. If you do go that route you need to flush the MC completely and clean the sludge from the reservoir.

Personally I would rebuild my own with a fresh kit rather than adapt another model's MC to fit it. Another option is aftermarket MC made by Magura and others that are new and have warranties. I got one for 90 dollars including the lever and brake switch.

Brakes are too important to fart around with, stopping beats accelerating on the list of essential bike features.

i am not sure if the 400 one will be up too the job if your 500 has twin discs up font, but if it is single then fine i reckon

rebuild the XS one as well, or a more modern one will go on , recently clssic mechanics did a projest on a Rd250 to attempt too get it too do 120 mph, they used a more modern front mastercylinder and said the braking was greatly improved

merv

i am not sure if the 400 one will be up too the job if your 500 has twin discs up font, but if it is single then fine i reckon

rebuild the XS one as well, or a more modern one will go on , recently clssic mechanics did a projest on a Rd250 to attempt too get it too do 120 mph, they used a more modern front mastercylinder and said the braking was greatly improved

merv

It is a single disc right now, If I can I might mod it later on with two front discs since I drive alot at really small twisty roads. But right now I just want a front brake, it is sometimes nerve (and gearbox) wrecking to only downshift and use the rear brake to get speed down. Last time I missed a telephone post in a small village with just a inch or two... small crest, sharp turn, telephone post... :)

Is all XS, RD and SR master cylinders the same (with the exception of the ones with two discs) or did they do small modofications between them? But all can be fitted if I change everything right? Or was there different calipers also for the different models?

some had 5/8" master cylinder, some 14mm, the usa model RD,s had the 14 mm master cylinder, but they should all work the calipers ok

merv

I have an xs1100 16mm master cyl driving two calipers up front.

the bore sizes offer a different feel to the brakes, and not always for the better.

my lever is rock hard and that's the way I like it!!

Hi, XS500. I sent you a PM with your request.By the way, ¡ wellcome to the Y.O.C. !

;)

There are difference in brake light operation, some use a pressure switch others a lever switch. You can install a pressure switch, they are more reliable, no matter which type you have now.

I would replace the lines with SS braided for the biggest improvement.

the XS 500 is leaking oil all over the place.the entire handlebar got a big oily mess.
Aye XS500" - Remember thats not oily that mess " Its brake-fluid . And is highly corrosive . :blink:

So wash as front end parts [ paint work esp.] coz few weeks time it will eat into effected parts

Also brake-fluid is Hydro-scopic [ absorbs moisture from air] keep it in air-tight containers. ;)

I would replace the lines with SS braided for the biggest improvement.

My thoughts EXACTLY.....well worth the money! :thumb:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online