1980 XS 400 Wheel & tire?

hdheritage1
This post is 5377 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I want to put different wheels an tires on this bike, Wanna go with a mag wheel set up with a slightly larger tire from something in the yamaha family. (nothing outstanding just an upgrade) also how hard is it to convert to a disc brake set up? im doing a bobber project with my son, we are adding 10" apes and solo seat and maybe forward controls. also how would i go about ordering longer cables? any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi I want to put different wheels an tires on this bike, Wanna go with a mag wheel set up with a slightly larger tire from something in the yamaha family. (nothing outstanding just an upgrade) also how hard is it to convert to a disc brake set up? im doing a bobber project with my son, we are adding 10" apes and solo seat and maybe forward controls. also how would i go about ordering longer cables? any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance!!!

are you running wires?

more than likely till i can figure out something else for the starter button. thanks in advance.

sorry, when I meant wires I meant wire wheels!!

i would like to go with a "mag" type 5 spoke and maybe a little wider tire on front and back. dont want to modify too much just bolt on. ive seen some on like the 650s and up, will those fit

you can get any thing to fit if you really want it bad.

the bigger bikes run 19" on front and 18" on rear

I've just put a 3:50 tyre on my flat tracker front and it looks funky chunky!! and on a 1.85 rim

DSC00341.jpg

sorry, when I meant wires I meant wire wheels!!

Hi,

perhaps the wires could multi task !!!!

just a thought who painted that engine with the black paint ? totaly ruined it !!!

Regards Jim

Hi,

perhaps the wires could multi task !!!!

just a thought who painted that engine with the black paint ? totaly ruined it !!!

Regards Jim

no idea, its protecting it at the mo' till its nearly finished ,than I'm going to clean it off!!

I've just put a 3:50 tyre on my flat tracker front and it looks funky chunky!! and on a 1.85 rim

DSC00341.jpg

i like that, is that the size of a stock rim 1.85?

i like that, is that the size of a stock rim 1.85?

Yep, rear is 2.15 and I have a 4:00 tyre for that, but I needing a couple of rubber bungs tp fill in the rim-lock holes

Yep, rear is 2.15 and I have a 4:00 tyre for that, but I needing a couple of rubber bungs tp fill in the rim-lock holes

Drewpy, what brake setup are you planning for the front of that?

If you do the double front discs, would you mind doing a step-by-step explanation? I can't remember if you wrote one up for your other 400.

Drewpy, what brake setup are you planning for the front of that?

If you do the double front discs, would you mind doing a step-by-step explanation? I can't remember if you wrote one up for your other 400.

not sure i did a step by step, but it is very easy...

yam wheel has a cover on opp side of hub and pry this off to reveal the machined holes for another disk.

1) fit another disk

2) you need a left hand early type lower fork part. they have a fitting for another caliper mount

3) use a caliper and mount from an SR500 . these are the same as xs400 right side, but it says left or "L" on it

4) buy 1 longer brake pipe and a double banjo fitting for the master cylinder

5) use master cylinder from an xs750, 850 or XS1100 twin disk bike. I would rebuild it with new seals

6) bleed system for 2 hours and there you have a twin disk set-up

drewps

not sure i did a step by step, but it is very easy...

yam wheel has a cover on opp side of hub and pry this off to reveal the machined holes for another disk.

1) fit another disk

2) you need a left hand early type lower fork part. they have a fitting for another caliper mount

3) use a caliper and mount from an SR500 . these are the same as xs400 right side, but it says left or "L" on it

4) buy 1 longer brake pipe and a double banjo fitting for the master cylinder

5) use master cylinder from an xs750, 850 or XS1100 twin disk bike. I would rebuild it with new seals

6) bleed system for 2 hours and there you have a twin disk set-up

drewps

I have the lower fork with the mounting points for another brake shoe, that was what got me thinking about it last night when I was checking chain slack and brake wear.

What happens to the speedo drive gear? On my front left side, it doesnt look like there is room for another disc to fit in there.

Now I am curious and am going to end up ripping the front end apart!

:)

at least I have the time.

I have the lower fork with the mounting points for another brake shoe, that was what got me thinking about it last night when I was checking chain slack and brake wear.

What happens to the speedo drive gear? On my front left side, it doesnt look like there is room for another disc to fit in there.

Now I am curious and am going to end up ripping the front end apart!

:)

at least I have the time.

should be obvious, the xs400 speedo mirrors the casting on the opp side. the disk has a big hole in the middle to go over the speedo drive!!

• 5 weeks later...

should be obvious, the xs400 speedo mirrors the casting on the opp side. the disk has a big hole in the middle to go over the speedo drive!!

Can I fit a 1.85X19front wheel on my '81 XS400? I plan on removing the front fender if that will help the fit.

DSC00341.jpg

Can I fit a 1.85X19 wheel from an XS650 fit on my '81 XS400?

Can I fit a 1.85X19 wheel from an XS650 fit on my '81 XS400?

you'll have to junk the front fender. but more importantly the xs650's have different size wheel spindles. If you know where there is one, get them to check the spindle size. you also need to think about spacing and speedo differences

you'll have to junk the front fender. but more importantly the xs650's have different size wheel spindles. If you know where there is one, get them to check the spindle size. you also need to think about spacing and speedo differences

Is it a matter of the hub and possibly the axle being too wide? Is the spindle the same as the axle? Can I still make it fit without changing the fork or triple tree?

Is it a matter of the hub and possibly the axle being too wide? Is the spindle the same as the axle? Can I still make it fit without changing the fork or triple tree?

spindle= axle, its the thickness rather than length. its the matter of the hub. if you just want to respoke on a rim there's no problem that i can see except for speedo error!!

spindle= axle, its the thickness rather than length. its the matter of the hub. if you just want to respoke on a rim there's no problem that i can see except for speedo error!!

Well I bought a XS650 wheel because of the hub but I'm guessing the hub is going to be the problem huh? I want a wired disc brake wheel up front and can't find anything. I noticed you have one but it's built with components hard to find stateside. Any ideas?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online