Life Saver Glance

Super_Shabz
This post is 5408 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, got my module 2 test on friday. I just wanted to confirm the correct lifesaver glances.

I know that when lifting off, you need to check both mirrors and lifesaver to the right. but does this apply for when your turning right at the lights for instance.

Or another confusing one is when turning left at a set of lights, left or right lifesaver? or both?

I tend to to check both ways, but I dont want to seem like a cant keep my head still during the test, nodding all over the place. I only want to take the necessary glances.

thanx guys

Shabaz

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Morning mate, general rule is lifesaver in the direction you intend to travel, left turn left lifesaver, right turn right,keep that in mind and you cant go far wrong :lol: There are a few exceptions like when approaching a roundabout and you need to be in the right hand side lane you should get an early left lifesaver in as you approach, just to check theres no sneaky bugger trying to get around you on the roundabout. Then there's a quick left glance as you pass an exit on the roundabout, and a right as you leave the roundabout. Quite alot to take in! Life saver every time you change speed,direction or moving away. Best of luck for the test!

:yeahthat:

Just to add, it's good practice to 'double' up when going straigh on mini-roundabouts. So, heading into the roundabout, mirror check, lifesaver, move to possition. left around the hump/paint/circle/whatever it is! before you come around lifesaver right (just in case there are any cars passing straight over the roundabout), lifesaver left, exit roundabout.

A couple of tips;

Speed. if your speed is a little high on entering the restriction zones (30, 40 etc) get off the brakes at the sign. The examiner is looking at what your bike is doing, his speedo isn't the same as yours, so he has to give some leaway.

Remember Mirror, Signal, Lifesaver, Manoeuvre it's easily forgotten. When you cahnge road possition, a lifesaver in the direction of travel. Here again the examiner can't see where you are looking, he is looking for a head movement.

Safety distance - Only A Fool Breaks The Two Second Rule - keep saying it to yourself if you are following traffic, unless you are in a 30 zone. It'll keep you mind occupied.

:luck:

I've got my Advanced on Saturday, lets hope I don't do anything stupid like I did on the mock test......

Do not confuse a Lifesaver with a Shoulder Check.

A Lifesaver is a last moment glance into your blind spot, immediately before you commit to the turn.

Yes if you're turning right at lights, or turning right anywhere - Right Lifesaver. Same if you're turning left, Left Lifesaver. Same for exiting a roundabout.

Don't get into the habit of just doing the head movement, though - Actually look and see that it's clear. It's called a Lifesaver for a reason and it has already saved mine a few times.

Shoulder Check is looking over one or both shoulders, to observe the road around you.

It is the Observation part of OSM-PSL.

- Observation

- Signal

- Manoeuvre, which is further broken down into:

- Position

- Speed

- Lifesaver

Do not confuse a Lifesaver with a Shoulder Check.

Thants a fair point.

Don't get into the habit of just doing the head movement, though - Actually look and see that it's clear. It's called a Lifesaver for a reason and it has already saved mine a few times.

Ah, but here, I have to disagree slightly, but to be honest it's a technicality, just being pedantic really.

The lifesaver relies on the fantastic peripheral vision us humans have and the ability to 'notice something out of the corner of the eye' so you don't actually need to look - as such. And as any woman will tel you, us blokes can't see bugger all when it's in front of us! we're built for hunting (focus), whereas Woman can look in a cupboard and see just what they are looking for.

By 'not looking' you can use your peripheral vision to see both your blindspot, and the direction you are traveling. Hazards come from all over the place. If there is something in your blind spot, then really you've cocked up the rear observation somewhere along the line.

But like I say, I'm being pedantic. I wouldn't worry about these too much.

A shoulder check isn't something you should be doing on the move (before you move yes). These are from days when bikes had crap mirrors and as a new rider your concentration need to be in the direction of travel. Work out where your blind spot is by getting someone to walk around the bike, find the spot where you can't see them and make sure you get your lifesavers covering that area. My Varadero had wierd mirrors that covered the blindspot.

The area of sweep is different on different bikes, and is affected by different lids too,

By 'not looking' you can use your peripheral vision to see both your blindspot, and the direction you are traveling. Hazards come from all over the place. If there is something in your blind spot, then really you've cocked up the rear observation somewhere along the line.

But like I say, I'm being pedantic. I wouldn't worry about these too much.

A shoulder check isn't something you should be doing on the move (before you move yes). These are from days when bikes had crap mirrors and as a new rider your concentration need to be in the direction of travel. Work out where your blind spot is by getting someone to walk around the bike, find the spot where you can't see them and make sure you get your lifesavers covering that area. My Varadero had wierd mirrors that covered the blindspot.

The area of sweep is different on different bikes, and is affected by different lids too,

Glad you said that!! ;)

I have wide shoulders - To the point where both the XJR400 and the GS500's mirrors are crap and I had to do a full Shoulder Check.

The ER5 was great, though!!

So yes, it depends greatly on bike and lid, as well as the Rider's own peripherals.

Once you're more experienced you'll habitually develop better awareness (I rarely glance back nowadays as I make better use of my mirrors). But for the purposes of the test and initial training I'd still say it's better to get used to seeing the blind spot.

A Lifesaver is turning the head in-line with the shoulder, so you can peripherally see your blind spot. It's around 120°, off your back quarter just past the 4 o' clock (for the right side). My current mirrors cover it, but I'd rather see for myself as I know I can still get caught out by small/low vehicles.

I always shouldercheck when changing lanes or passing a feeder lane/entry ramp on a motorway and large roundabouts as many people do stupid stuff there.