Which cruiser should a newbie choose?

The Don
This post is 5444 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Which cruiser should a newbie choose?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which would be a good first bike to gain experience on and use as a daily ride?

• V-Star 650
    • V-Star 950
    • V-Star 1100
    • other

Hello and thanks in advance for your input. I do not currently ride a motorcycle, but, am planning on taking the safety course and buying a bike before the end of the year. I have been wanting to ride all of my life and am finally in a position to do so. Being that I have no experience I wanted your advice on which Yamaha cruiser to buy....I was considering the V-Star 950 but don't know if that would be to much bike at this stage of the game. What do you think? I am in my 30's 5'11 and 185lbs in case that needs to be factored in.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a V Star 950 - but i had the 650 before that then upgraded.

I rode sports bikes for years before swapping to a cruiser, so i would suggest the 650 for an absolute beginner.

At the end of the day its up to you though - go with what you feel comfortable. ;)

Dunno quite how it works in the US, but...

I'd always recommend 6 months on a 125.

This teaches you to rely on timing for safe manoeuvres, rather than power to get you through.

It also gets you in the habit of riding far back from things, giving you adequate thinking time, braking distance etc.

Then, trade it up for a 650!!!!!

This teaches you to rely on timing for safe manoeuvres, rather than power to get you through.

It also gets you in the habit of riding far back from things, giving you adequate thinking time, braking distance etc.

yup thats what i learned on my 50cc

i would start small and get bigger 650 may be a bit to big for a first bike

I'm just waiting for some twat to come along and say, "Nah, mate.. Get a Sports Bike, coz it's faaaaaaaaast, innit?"...........

:rolleyes:

I'm just waiting for some twat to come along and say, "Nah, mate.. Get a Sports Bike, coz it's faaaaaaaaast, innit?"...........

:rolleyes:

ok then :lol:

naa m8 get a R1 m8 Fast as F*ck m8 dont want non of that Cruser sh*t

haha im joking

Hello and thanks in advance for your input. I do not currently ride a motorcycle, but, am planning on taking the safety course and buying a bike before the end of the year. I have been wanting to ride all of my life and am finally in a position to do so. Being that I have no experience I wanted your advice on which Yamaha cruiser to buy....I was considering the V-Star 950 but don't know if that would be to much bike at this stage of the game. What do you think? I am in my 30's 5'11 and 185lbs in case that needs to be factored in.

Hi your story sounds very much like mine. So take the course and see if you truly do like riding. If so; your tall and a V-star 950 will seem too cramped in very short order.

What I did was buy a used low km honda shadow, rode everyday for a few weeks, went on some day trips to get some experience; that's when I realized it was too small for my height, yes I could have done some modifications(engine guards with pegs to stretch out)etc, but I knew I was going to want more power. I sold it and . test drove 950,1100,1300,1700 v-stars. Honda's are too low for me, even the 1300

Personally I found the 950 and 1100 barely a step up in size to the honda; the 1700 would be great for touring; my favorite for size, power and around town and the .touring that I want to do is the 1300. It should be ample. So I bought one last Friday and love it. Brand new just breaking it in for another week or so, lot's of room and power.

Very easy to ride, turns great. I'm a new rider also the bikes heavy but a low center of gravity.

Hope this helps.

Good Riding Rose

:yeahthat:

right now im on a 175, and I love it. its just right for running around town on.

eventually i will get a bigger bike, but like ttaskmaster said, learn on a small bike.

it also makes taking the test really easy. if you pick up a cheap one, you can unload it when your done.

(or give it to the missus)

and most important, better to dump/drop/crash an old beater bike than a brand new one.

just how would you feel if you went out and bought that brand new vstar and dropped all over the road due to inexperience.

(wouldnt give a student driver a Mercedes, now would you?)

To be honest, if you're 5' 11" (which I am) and still feel a Jap Cruiser is too small, then no Jap bike will suit you.

Primarily they're built from the Japanese perspective, which as an average is slightly smaller than us Western lot.

They make 'em bigger than their average, but some do still have problems.

You have the option of altering the bars and adding extended foot controls.

The other choice is something BIG like a Victory.

The 8-Ball is a nice one to try for starters.

Engine size will be a factor, if you're after performance. But as a new rider, especially in this traffic-heavy country, the last thing you want is 1900 CCs (or even as much as 2300) of low-end torque waiting to surprise you while you learn the finer points of throttle and clutch control. You'd blast into the car in front like a Cruise Missile.

Either way, I think you are ill-advised to be hopping on a litre+ bike as your first ride, regardless of bike type.

This is the typical Short-Lived Summer Biker syndrome.

Rule Number 1 - Stay Safe.

Hi, I returned to motorcycling 3 years ago after a 30+ year lapse. I bought an XVS125 for learning and taking my test. I can recommend this bike, it is easy to ride, corner and stop in a hurry if it all goes wrong, the only drawback is the top speed.

There is plenty of chrome and accessories you can add to give it that custom look and the bike looks a lot bigger than it actually is so you get plenty of attention.

Taking the test was no problem apart from the U turn section, due to the longer profile of the bike I had to practice for a long time to get the footbrake technique right.

After passing my test I rode the bike for another year to gain experience and then easily traded it in for an XVS650. This experience on the 125 was invaluable to get me back into motorcycle riding and gave me the confidence with riding the heavier 650.

Whatever your choice Ride Safe and enjoy the biking experience.

I just wanted to thank every one for your input. I am now looking to go with the V-Star 650 and upgrade in the future. The comments have been informative and as I suspected Yamaha owners are some of the coolest people and I look forward to seeing you on the road.

Fantastic choice!!!

Get the Custom, rather than the Classic - It's lighter and looks better :D

I just wanted to thank every one for your input. I am now looking to go with the V-Star 650 and upgrade in the future. The comments have been informative and as I suspected Yamaha owners are some of the coolest people and I look forward to seeing you on the road.

congrats now stay safe

we dont want any pics of a smashed up 650 on hear !!!!

Nice one! Ride safe and enjoy your bike!

Fantastic choice!!!

Get the Custom, rather than the Classic - It's lighter and looks better :D

Nooooooo! get the Classic! Fatter front wheel and an overall better looking bike than the Custom - and you'll look a lot cooler! :lol:

Classic - Fat front wheel, fat fork covers and fat saddle for fat bikers, who really want a Fat Boy...

Custom - Retro looks for the Rock Star image!!! :lol:

Plus, it comes with chromed side panels instead of colour-matched ones. I had Classic owners offer me money to trade with them!!

000e052SGbt.jpg

Classic - Fat front wheel, fat fork covers and fat saddle for fat bikers, who really want a Fat Boy...

Custom - Retro looks for the Rock Star image!!! :lol:

Plus, it comes with chromed side panels instead of colour-matched ones. I had Classic owners offer me money to trade with them!!

It looks like a CG125 at the front! :lol:

I like the aggressive look of the Classic......waaaaaay cooler IMHO ;)

And i aint no fat biker!

Ye don't look very aggressive when you're lagging at the back, struggling to lug that extra 20kgs of metal bodywork along!!

And those streamlined mudguards don't actually do anything for reducing wind resistance.

With my slimline tyres I can actually get some decent lean and forward weight going in the corners!!

As for the forks - Yours are just mine with an ugly mask on!!

Ye don't look very aggressive when you're lagging at the back, struggling to lug that extra 20kgs of metal bodywork along!!

And those streamlined mudguards don't actually do anything for reducing wind resistance.

With my slimline tyres I can actually get some decent lean and forward weight going in the corners!!

As for the forks - Yours are just mine with an ugly mask on!!

Can't say that i've ever lagged behind!

The mudguards, whilst they may not do anything for wind resistance, still look waaaaaay cooler than the farty little chopped off things on the Custom :P

As for the slimline tyres giving you decent lean - how can ya assume you dont get it with the Classic? I scraped the footboards more than once on Elvira :lol:

If you wanna get weight over the front wheel may i suggest a set of clip ons and moving your footrests back :lol:

Anywhoooo - i have the 950 now which is far sexier than either the 650 Custom or Classic, so it makes no odds now! ;)

The mudguards, whilst they may not do anything for wind resistance, still look waaaaaay cooler than the farty little chopped off things on the Custom :P

Whaaaaaat? Those sweeping curves look like some Skye Terrier's arse!!!

:lol:

As for the slimline tyres giving you decent lean - how can ya assume you dont get it with the Classic? I scraped the footboards more than once on Elvira :lol: If you wanna get weight over the front wheel may i suggest a set of clip ons and moving your footrests back :lol:

Because I rode a Classic. Big, clompy, lumpy things with a massive arse-pad for a saddle. You can lean, but you have to hoof it about like a half-drunk horny Queen fan. If I want extra weight on a corner, I just lean forward.

Custom responds better to weight transfer - Classic has an extra 3 stone to fight against... I'd need to put an extra 35% on my bodyweight to achieve this!!

Anywhoooo - i have the 950 now which is far sexier than either the 650 Custom or Classic, so it makes no odds now! ;)

Nah 's got the same streamlined junk and modern styling. Might as well get a Pan!! :P

Whaaaaaat? Those sweeping curves look like some Skye Terrier's arse!!!

:lol:

Thats called SEXEH :lol:

Because I rode a Classic. Big, clompy, lumpy things with a massive arse-pad for a saddle. You can lean, but you have to hoof it about like a half-drunk horny Queen fan. If I want extra weight on a corner, I just lean forward.

Custom responds better to weight transfer - Classic has an extra 3 stone to fight against... I'd need to put an extra 35% on my bodyweight to achieve this!!

Nahhhh - i never had to hoof mine - you sure you're riding style was correct? :P

As for the half-drunk horny Queen fan.....may i refer you to this sir.......

000e052SGbt.jpg

Need i say more? :lol:

Nah 's got the same streamlined junk and modern styling. Might as well get a Pan!! :P

Its sleek, SEXEH and makes me look even cooler than the 650 did :lol:

PS: Love ya really............ ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online