Little trouble starting

eyedee
This post is 5462 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've not been around on the forum for a while due to loosing my job last year and then starting a new business which has changed the way I live my life. One of the major changes is that I don't use my bike to travel to work everyday anymore. I've been so busy that I only manage to get out on my R6 once every week and sometimes only every fortnight! I'm working at changing this, but in having the bike sitting for a week at a time I've noticed a problem.

The R6 has become very difficult to start after it has sat for a week. It fires up fine, but I have to keep the throttle open to about 6000 revs for about 10 seconds and then very slowly adjust the throttle, reducing the revs until it finely sits at idle. If I try and start it on the auto choke it fires up and then dies immediately. If I don't reduce the revs VERY slowly, it dies. Is there an obvious reason why this is happening, or should I take it back to Yamaha before the two year warranty expires?

Cheers :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yoda, it isn't damp. I keep it garaged in a outside-temp but dry outhouse.

barwell1992, I'm going to service it soon so I'll be changing the plugs (just to be on the safe side) but I doubt they really need changing as the bikes only done 2000 miles. To be honest, I don't know if the plugs could do with a clean - I haven't actually looked. I'll check it out over the weekend. Can't see fuel being the cause tho. It gets a new tank's worth every two months at the longest.

ahh ok thorght it may have been the fule

the only other thing it could be is the old fuel left on the piston when turned off is going off then its strugling to burn it when its started this could explain the need for you to hold the power on when you start it

on way to tell if its the fuel problem is to run the bike to day or to morrow then try and start it the say after if the problem has gone then you can say its defo just the old fuel in the pistons

For my 2 peneth i'd go with fuel pressure, the bike sits forever waiting for you to go out and the fuel goes off slightly in the lines. Modern unleaded goes waxy over time. It just takes a bit for good clean fuel to get to the engine. Fuel filter probably wants a clean.

I'm happy to be proved wrong on this as i prefer the older 80's stuff but an Astra GTE i owned many years ago did much the same. (I had a works van)

I've not been around on the forum for a while due to loosing my job last year and then starting a new business which has changed the way I live my life. One of the major changes is that I don't use my bike to travel to work everyday anymore. I've been so busy that I only manage to get out on my R6 once every week and sometimes only every fortnight! I'm working at changing this, but in having the bike sitting for a week at a time I've noticed a problem.

The R6 has become very difficult to start after it has sat for a week. It fires up fine, but I have to keep the throttle open to about 6000 revs for about 10 seconds and then very slowly adjust the throttle, reducing the revs until it finely sits at idle. If I try and start it on the auto choke it fires up and then dies immediately. If I don't reduce the revs VERY slowly, it dies. Is there an obvious reason why this is happening, or should I take it back to Yamaha before the two year warranty expires?

Cheers :)

Hi Eyedee,

I would get the bike to a Yamaha outlet before the warranty expires .. If you have stale fuel, which could case the problem, I would guess this is not the case as I guess you do ride the bike each week & need to fill the fuel tank at some point or are you just firring the bike up to make sure it still works ?

Regards Jim

Cheers for your thoughts guys.

I guess it could be the fuel going-off in the lines or a problem with the fuel pressure at start-up. But I would be semi-surprised if that was the problem as the petrol's only been sitting for 7 days sometimes for the issue to occur.

JimR, like you say, I do take the bike for a good ride about every week so that she's properly used (slow roads, fast roads, twisties, a few straights, slow and fast riding - I try and give her the works to keep everything balanced). I don't tend to fire the bike up for any length of time shorter than a 20 min ride, sometimes a 2 hour+ ride. I think I'll get her down to my local Yamaha dealer anyway. Better to be safe then sorry. I have to go anyway as the plastic around the mirrors has been cracking up for about a year and the front light pod gets condensation in it. I guess these faults are covered under the warranty.

Cheers :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online