How much do you know about riding?

Pete
This post is 7255 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This is a riding skills question posed by Tony Carter.

If you don't know who he is...then read on.

Tony is very active in the Internet Bike Community and is the ONLY guy I will seek advice from.

Reason: He's mid 40's, ex-Police Motorcyclist, ex Police Motorcyclist Instructor, and ex Police Motorcyclist instructor and Examiner to the Instructors.

He retired from the Police a few years ago and is a motorcycle accident investigator for Boyes Turner Legal, a major Law firm.

Tony is one of the 4 highest qualified motorcyclists in this country and is in demand by Police Forces all over the world to teach them. He's also an advisor to the Government on Biking issues, but as he said, they very rarely listen. :roll:

Anyway, I think I've established the source of this info. You can dispute the answer as much as you like, but unless you're higher qualified and more experienced than him, then you're wasting your time and deluding yourself.

So...here we go! Here's the question...you give me what you think is the answer, and I'll give you Tony's reply later on!

You are travelling along a section of road for the very first time in a national speed limit, when you are confronted by a bend or series of bends. Visibility is good, the road is good, the weather is fine and dry and traffic flow is minimal.

You decide to go through the bends at 30 MPH, but because the bends are so good, when you exit them you feel that it would be perfectly safe to go a little bit faster, so you turn around and do the same section of road again but this time you do it at 40 MPH. It is still comfortable and you feel that 50 would not be an unreasonable speed so you do it again at 50 and again at 60. On all occasions it was legal, it was safe and at no time did you cause danger to yourself or other road users. What was/is the correct speed for those bends?

So....what's your answer?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:-k , I'd say if it's the national speed (which as we all know is 70), you'd still go round them as fast you feel comfy, as long as your in control.

Wait till you see, I bet I'm talking bollocks :lol:

I would imagine anything up to the limit in respect of that stretch of road dependant on the other road users. you could go as slow as 30 in a 70 as long as it wasn't causing a hazard to any other road user. Thats what happens to me all the time when I'm in a hurry, stuck behind some one who's not :!: I don't think I can wait for the answer, mail it to me and I promise I'll keep it to meself.

$hando

Unless there are aload of blind bends, it should be 60 cos that's the speed limit, although anything less should be fine...

I'm gonna be wrong cos it's too obvious aren't I???

• Admin

Slow enough to be able to stop if someone is parked stationary the other side as i fecking found out a while back :evil:

Unless there are aload of blind bends, it should be 60 cos that's the speed limit,

That's a maximum speed limit, not a mininum.

If it was the minimum you'd never be able to leave Brecon! :lol:

Never go faster than your stopping distance allows, THIS you should always be able to see. This will prevent unexpected hazards which could appear on any of the repeated trips/passes through the series of bends. This isn't a speed question, it is a visibility question.

There is no specific speed which is right for any situation. Assuming everything else is good - road surface, camber etc - you should still never have a specific speed in mind for even a known stretch of road. Hence your visible stopping distance is the only safe guideline to follow.

There is no specific speed which is right for any situation. Assuming everything else is good - road surface, camber etc - you should still never have a specific speed in mind for even a known stretch of road. Hence your visible stopping distance is the only safe guideline to follow.

Yeah