TAX DISC STOLEN !

mike1949
This post is 5479 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

For the second time now I've had my tax disc stolen. Is there any traffic cops on this forum that can shed some light where bikers stand legally when riding without a disc. I would have thought that in this day and age with police cars fitted with automatic number plate recognition that can tell if the vehicle is taxed and insured do we really need to display a valid disc which is so prone to theft?

The first thief who stole my disc altered the registration number to read his own but left Honda cycle on and put it in his car.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I honestly have never displayed my tax disk but keep it in my wallet just in case, been okay so far.

I honestly have never displayed my tax disk but keep it in my wallet just in case, been okay so far.

That's what I'm doing at the moment, but what if you leave the bike unattended in a public place?

Legally you have to display your tax disc

If it is stolen, report it to the police, get a crime number and you should be able to get a replacement for free.

I would have thought that in this day and age with police cars fitted with automatic number plate recognition that can tell if the vehicle is taxed and insured do we really need to display a valid disc?
Your giving the police far too much faith, I was pulled over for displaying an out of date tax disc - which is not an offence if you've also got an in date tax disc showing! The cop was behind me in stationary traffic for fifteen minutes - rush hour, town center - lots of people watching as I made a fool out of him lol

btw what sort of tax disc holder are you using? Mine is a pain in the arse to change when the tax runs out, which also mean's it's not too easy to steal...

you definitely have to dis[play the disc, report asap, i have heard of people back in January were waiting for their discs in the post after the xmas holiday that got done for not displaying their discs, we are in a funny age where we are using/transiting between 2 systems,,the tax we need to display in benelux countries on the trucks is ANPR regulated now but some of the cop cars dont have the equipment to read it, so they have to stop you and ask for the receipt

Merv

If it is stolen, report it to the police, get a crime number and you should be able to get a replacement for free.

btw what sort of tax disc holder are you using? Mine is a pain in the arse to change when the tax runs out, which also mean's it's not too easy to steal...

Unfortunatly not free, a replacement about ten years ago was £15.00

Admittedly up to now I have used a holder with a rubber ring holding the disc in which is very easy to remove, but as from today I have just bought an aluminium holder which you need an allen key to remove disc, but I think that if someone is determined to steal it they could break it off.

you definitely have to dis[play the disc, report asap, i have heard of people back in January were waiting for their discs in the post after the xmas holiday that got done for not displaying their discs, we are in a funny age where we are using/transiting between 2 systems,,the tax we need to display in benelux countries on the trucks is ANPR regulated now but some of the cop cars dont have the equipment to read it, so they have to stop you and ask for the receipt

Merv

Hi Merv,

I can understand someone having a disc of a bike in the thought that the correct colour & valid date may keep the vehicle safe when parked (nobody checks right ? .... yes they do !!!) but the vans with plate recognition will sort them out on the move.

Oddly enough I got stopped for not displaying the O licence disc (it was lay on the dash sort of fell off the screen) after going thro a van parked on the side of the road .... the police went thro the lot .. Vehicle plate, asked for the Tacho but as I was carrying domestic waste & doing a door to door collection I was exempt from Tacho regs then were going to weight check me until they noticed both rams were the rear end of the truck. Perhaps this system should also encompase the O licence too as 'my pull' cost the government shed loads and perhaps allowed offenders to get away with it.

Regards Jim

Jim

about sums it up been pulled up many a time by coppers looking for something they are not gonna find, best moment was outside exter going towards plymouth. pulled on weighbridge, brand spanking new truck, empty only collected it from exeter 10 mins before, no tax disc no o licence no plate no tacho (exempt was on knacker meat ) ministry bloke had too laugh in the end and say get on then

Jim

about sums it up been pulled up many a time by coppers looking for something they are not gonna find, best moment was outside exter going towards plymouth. pulled on weighbridge, brand spanking new truck, empty only collected it from exeter 10 mins before, no tax disc no o licence no plate no tacho (exempt was on knacker meat ) ministry bloke had too laugh in the end and say get on then

Thats cool !

if you have read from previous posts I have just passed a class 1 and getting pulled in a class 2 may have revoked the new licence ... but I guess not !!! as nowt was wrong bar the O licence & the tacho was a laugh !! ... its cool to do vosa but perhaps its better to not 'rock the boat' ?

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online