Swap or not to swap

axl
This post is 7258 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

While out a run yesterday we stopped at Luss, and a guy came up to me and asked what I'd done to my bike, eg why did I streetfighter it.

I said I didnt, but to cut a long story short, he want's to swap his a perfectly good standard bike very same as mine but a 93' K reg.

Now he's had (so he say's) his engine tuned but it's bored out, (I think), race cam's, gas flowed head and a stage 7 Dyno kit.

Plus he's taken the exup valve away and got a full stainless Micron system on, he reckons his bike's just nder a 900cc.

But none of his brake light's worked, or the rev couter/indicator's, he said it just needs the wire's connected.

Y'see I'm looking for a standard bike and he wants a streetfighter, do we just swap or no.

The mile's on his are 55k, but the engine sounds fine, mine's 40k ans also sounds fine apart from it dies when idling, and so kinda does his, whats the verdict people, could have some opinions please.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

Yeah sounds dodgy, if the counter only needed to be connected WHY hasnt he done it. Sell yours and buy one, dont do the swap :(

• Admin

Just a thought from the spec it is probably an ex race bike so would have been thrashed and dropped all day long. Stage 7 kits are purely made to for an exact level of tuning ie for race applications, and with the exup removed all for top end power delivery and also the clocks not working, makes me think that this is the case :roll:

Mmmm, I see :-k , I did wonder a bit to honest I wanted to hear you guy's comments on it, but yea I see where your "coming from"!.

Y'see all he said was he wanted a streetfighter, he wanted his seat raised the way mine is, now what I thought of is why doesn;t.didn't he just take his fairing off and raise his own seat, job done!!.

Mind you one thing that did get me, when we met to check out each other's bike's, I took my log book and showed him it. Cause he wanted to check the engine/frame no's, but he didn't make any atempt to produce his :-k .

So now he know's where I stay :evil: , but thats not where the bike is, should he get any ideas :wink: .

Nah, I think your right guy's, There's somthing dodgy here, cause as I say, why doesn't he just convert his own!, be easier I think.

Plus like you said (and so did he) his engine is all for top end power, eg thrashed to hell, cause after all, why do you tune anything!!.

No but seriously mate. your bike hasnt sounded like a peace of crap, so dont change it to one!

Well!, thats one way to put it, I think I'm gona tex him (not calling to fekin dear) and tell him thanks but no!.

Cheers guy's, youv'e made me think about thing's here, and help'd me make my mind up :wink:

Btw...I s'pose if I want an ex race bike, I'll give Mr Rossi a call :wink: :lol:, now that would a good un!!!

I was on it yesterday, and it drove fine, I spoke the guy this afternoon again on the moby, cause I'd sent a tex saying I dont think so I'll think about thing's ect, ect.

He called me back and asked why, cause I said (as written above) why not just take all the stuff off his own ect. His answer was I dont have the proper clock bracket youv'e got, plus I'd need to buy other head light's.

He really (so he say's) wants mine cause it's got everything done to it, to save him the hassle, I'm still kinda dodgy. I said I'll phone him back tonight and either ye or nae!

have to say that perhaps the only reason i would never buy an bike that has wisecos or other bigbore kit in is that i havent made it!

theres about a thousand ways to get it wrong. i still cant say that mines all right as i have only ridden about 150 miles so far, but at least i know what im doing to the engine.

general agreed principles in buying an used bike are these:

1. no dodgy wires/connections or missing electrics. you are going straight for trouble

2. no reasent engine jobs, rather no enginejobs at all, unless you are 110% shure whats been done, and why.

everything else comes after those two. reason? engine and electics are basicly your bike. all else can be repaired easely and without much money.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online