carb problem - advice needed

HoggyF
This post is 5489 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

allright guys,

My XT350 keeps leaking petrol out the drain of the bottom of the primary carb, i cleaned the drain screw and blown out the seating with carb cleaner but it still won't stop! :angry: It also does it continually, even when the petrol is switched off (the tap does work correctly) Hows that then?

Anyone got any bright ideas? (no comments about boxes of matches please!!)

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

checked the floats for damage? also if your carb is fitted with a diaphragm also check this, alternatively lower the float height and see if that helps at all (had to do this with my jawa)

can't see how the carb will still draw from the tank with the fuel tap off...

How would i know if its a vacuum tap and how does it work? - new one on me that and me being a plumber, i know my taps. Anyone know if the tap can be stripped apart?

How do i sort the float needle - to be honest carbs terrify me - seems like a black art, reading the manual about setting the float height seems like a complete mare, i might have to break the golden rule and take it to someone else to fix. Then again, maybe not.

cheers for the help so far.

How would i know if its a vacuum tap and how does it work? - new one on me that and me being a plumber, i know my taps. Anyone know if the tap can be stripped apart?

a vacuum tap will have two pipes on it (for your single cylinder bike), One is the fuel feed to the carb and the other is a vacuum line and this connects somewhere on the carb manifold. As the engine is running there will be a vacuum developed in the manifold, this vacuum is used to open the fuel tap by operating on a diaphragm within the tap, therefore unlike the basic old tap you dont have to switch the tap to Off position when not using the bike. so if your tap has a line to the manifold its a vacuum tap...if it is I cannot say if it can be stripped as I havent done one, but if ther are screws to undo, then why not drain the tank and have a go, be slow and careful there may be a spring or other bits and pieces in there that you wouldnt want to lose!

How do i sort the float needle - to be honest carbs terrify me - seems like a black art, reading the manual about setting the float height seems like a complete mare, i might have to break the golden rule and take it to someone else to fix. Then again, maybe not.

cheers for the help so far.

If you are really frightened of tackling the carb, you could have a word with mervin, he may strip, set the float height and ultrasonic clean your carb for a nominal fee... ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online