SR500 no go

peteypops
This post is 5490 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks,

finally pulled the SR out of the shed after about 5 years of hibernating behind various other motorised bicycles. Changed the oil, new plug, new fuel, checked the valve gaps, cleaned the carb, repaired/replaced various electrical connections and, b$$$$r me, it refuses to start!

Nice big juicy spark but no go.

I get the odd backfire after 5 or 6 kicks and it seems to want to pick up but just stubbornly puts its foot down.

Oh btw, its got a Boyer Bransden ignition unit fitted.

Anyone got any clues or advice???

My right leg is REALLLLLY sore!!

thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi folks,

finally pulled the SR out of the shed after about 5 years of hibernating behind various other motorised bicycles. Changed the oil, new plug, new fuel, checked the valve gaps, cleaned the carb, repaired/replaced various electrical connections and, b$$$$r me, it refuses to start!

I get the odd backfire after 5 or 6 kicks and it seems to want to pick up but just stubbornly puts its foot down.

thanks.

You have a fueling problem.

try fuel in the bore as well, don't know if you drained the carbs before storage, otherwise its a carb strip and clean!!

Thanks for ideas folks, I think I was probably missing the obvious.

After cleaning the pilot & main jet it'll start, albeit reluctantly, and run.

However when it's stopped it's a boooooga to start again, so I'll take the advice and strip and rebuildthe carb !

Forgot how nice it sounded.

cheers.

Thanks for ideas folks, I think I was probably missing the obvious.

After cleaning the pilot & main jet it'll start, albeit reluctantly, and run.

However when it's stopped it's a boooooga to start again, so I'll take the advice and strip and rebuildthe carb !

Forgot how nice it sounded.

cheers.

if you don't it going, you can give it to me ;)

if you don't it going, you can give it to me ;)

Thats how I got this one in the first place bud, haha.

:lol:

Hi folks,

thanks.

With the choke on if cold or the fast idle button pressed if hot, you pull in the valve lifter and depress the kickstart until a little white mark appears in a sight window located on the end of the camshaft. When the mark appears and the valve lifter released with the ignition on give the beast a swift kick...voilla!..... :D