33 BHP restriction (UK)

barwell1992
This post is 5315 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Right well i have just goten my MT 03 660cc at this current moment it prduces 48bhp but buy law because i will be 17 when i pass my test it needs to be restricted to 33bhp now what i want to know are the folowing

1. what will be power be like after restriction

2. how is the restriction aplied

3. how could i get away without haveing it restricted

4. how will the allready small top speed be afected

the only reson i need to know is because its shared use the bike is myn but my mum will be riding it as well and will need to keep up with my dad on his XT660X. And i do have quite a bit of experiance with bikes and quads and all things powerd so i now im capable of handeling the bike as it is so thats not an issue to me

any sugestion would be apriciated thanks :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Right well i have just goten my MT 03 660cc at this current moment it prduces 48bhp but buy law because i will be 17 when i pass my test it needs to be restricted to 33bhp now what i want to know are the folowing

2. how is the restriction aplied

3. how could i get away without haveing it restricted

4. how will the allready small top speed be afected

the only reson i need to know is because its shared use the bike is myn but my mum will be riding it as well and will need to keep up with my dad on his XT660X. And i do have quite a bit of experiance with bikes and quads and all things powerd so i now im capable of handeling the bike as it is so thats not an issue to me

any sugestion would be apriciated thanks :)

Hi in answer to your questions:

1. - In my experience fitting a kit to a GPZ500 there was no real fall-off in power - it just affects the top end.

2. - Depends on the bike, with some its washers in the carb intake, others a throttle stop.

3. - You would be ill advised to do so - if you get stopped by a bike cop (and at 17 you are a target) they may test it and decide to have it on a dyno - if they find you've taken the restrictor out they'll bump you back to a provisional - is it worth it?

4. - Difficult to say - takes about 8-10mph off the GPZ

In my opinion it's not worth the risk - if you get caught its loss of licence and an insurance offence - irrespective of the experience you have!

<_<

Hi in answer to your questions:

1. - In my experience fitting a kit to a GPZ500 there was no real fall-off in power - it just affects the top end.

2. - Depends on the bike, with some its washers in the carb intake, others a throttle stop.

3. - You would be ill advised to do so - if you get stopped by a bike cop (and at 17 you are a target) they may test it and decide to have it on a dyno - if they find you've taken the restrictor out they'll bump you back to a provisional - is it worth it?

4. - Difficult to say - takes about 8-10mph off the GPZ

In my opinion it's not worth the risk - if you get caught its loss of licence and an insurance offence - irrespective of the experience you have!

<_<

OK thanks for your reply i think i will just leav it on when its fitted and its throttle stop and the bikes a 2006 MT-03 :)

Imagine running, but breathing through a straw - well it's no that bad, but you'll get the picture.

The trouble with the restricting kits is that they deal with the issue, and don't provide a solution. You are going to loose top end, but only a bit. you can keep the botom end by changing the front drive dog and taking a tooth out.

Fosdyke speaks much truth, young one would be wise to follow.

If you have the restriction certificate then good, don't mess with the restrictor kit - you can up the reponse of the 660 motor by making changes to the snorkel and air filter, these buggers need alot of air, and in standard for they just don't get it .........

there is more than one way to skin a rabbit.

Imagine running, but breathing through a straw - well it's no that bad, but you'll get the picture.

The trouble with the restricting kits is that they deal with the issue, and don't provide a solution. You are going to loose top end, but only a bit. you can keep the botom end by changing the front drive dog and taking a tooth out.

If you have the restriction certificate then good, don't mess with the restrictor kit - you can up the reponse of the 660 motor by making changes to the snorkel and air filter, these buggers need alot of air, and in standard for they just don't get it .........

thanks for the reply well its cable restricted so basicly carnt pull the throttal all the way back but i think i will get it removed after a year or so like most people do but it all dipends on how well it preforms :)

and i was thinking about geting a k& filter for it just to give it a bit more umphhhh but will do that after its restricted :)

how much bhp do air filters add any way i got like a extra 1.5bhp when i put one on my 50cc (3bhp stock 6.4 after i had finished with it lol ,exhaust,upjeted,airfilter fully derestricted 55-60mph top speed :D did all the work my self)

thanks for the reply well its cable restricted so basicly carnt pull the throttal all the way back but i think i will get it removed after a year or so like most people do but it all dipends on how well it preforms :)

and i was thinking about geting a k& filter for it just to give it a bit more umphhhh but will do that after its restricted :)

how much bhp do air filters add any way i got like a extra 1.5bhp when i put one on my 50cc (3bhp stock 6.4 after i had finished with it lol ,exhaust,upjeted,airfilter fully derestricted 55-60mph top speed :D did all the work my self)

does anyone know where i can get a exhaust system for my 2003 yamaha tw 125. i cant find one at all

no i dont and could you post your own topic on it pleas and not in hear

thanks

• 6 months later...

Not to much more advise than the other guys but i definately recommend leaving it on i passed my test at 18 and have a 2008 fazer which i have to by law have restricted for two years (despite the yearning to take it off) :( anyway only 1 year left now ive already been pulled over for random stop checks and they asked me for all the usual and asked to show them the restriction definately not worth having to retake your test for what will be a bit more top end. im going to get aftermarket exhausts im betweek the carbon scorpions and laser 4 pipe ones for my bike and im considering a k & n filter but not yet.

i really like the look of the MT-03 hows the ride just out of curiosity.

Ian Pether