older newbie

bornard
This post is 5524 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, just joined here, and just bought a 2008 ybr 125, having done cbt at age 46 (fellow trainees aged 17-24, and all much more competent). Scary ride home from the shop, several stalls, two involuntary wheelies. Since then (last thu) have just practised throttle and clutch control round local streets.

I'm probably a bit unusual having never owned a petrol vehicle before, but have cycled since age five. Plan to get out into the countryside around Newcastle soon, and swotting up for theory test.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all, just joined here, and just bought a 2008 ybr 125, having done cbt at age 46 (fellow trainees aged 17-24, and all much more competent). Scary ride home from the shop, several stalls, two involuntary wheelies. Since then (last thu) have just practised throttle and clutch control round local streets.

I'm probably a bit unusual having never owned a petrol vehicle before, but have cycled since age five. Plan to get out into the countryside around Newcastle soon, and swotting up for theory test.

y eye pet :lol: just keep at it ... I did my test etc in the middle/late 70's and still ended up with the same problems as you .. back then you'll do it ... just as this week I'm doing the class I HGV(LGV) test

Regards Jim

Hiya Bornard,

Welcome aboard and good for you, don't matter how old you are, it's in the blood ;)

Shame you're so far away, I've got some free time for the frst time in years, but I'm about 250 miles away, by the time I met up with I'd be heading back home for dinner :lol:

Sounds like you are doing just the right thing, plenty of practice and going at your own pace, and every single person here has stalled at some time, trick is to do the Mr Bean tsch tsch, shake of the head, roll of the eyes and blame a dodgy bike :lol:

Hiya Bornard,

Welcome aboard and good for you, don't matter how old you are, it's in the blood ;)

Shame you're so far away, I've got some free time for the frst time in years, but I'm about 250 miles away, by the time I met up with I'd be heading back home for dinner :lol:

Sounds like you are doing just the right thing, plenty of practice and going at your own pace, and every single person here has stalled at some time, trick is to do the Mr Bean tsch tsch, shake of the head, roll of the eyes and blame a dodgy bike :lol:

did Yamaha produce a dodgy one ! :unsure:

Welcome Bornard

I did my CBT about 6 months ago and have been practicing at my own pace since then. I think I learn better when I can go away and try things out by myself. The idea of Direct access and going from absolutely no bike experience to sitting my test 3 days later just didn't sound like it would work for me (some would say I'm just slow lol). Got my theory test next week and hoping to pass my practical before the summer.

You must have some great roads up there, I used to love going up to Northumberland when I was a kid.

I'm very slow, takes me ages to get around to things, I wouldn't be surprised if I have to cbt again in two years, having failed to book a test. Good luck with yours anyway, are you planning to get a bigger bike? One of the kids I did cbt with planned to do the direct access then buy an R6 - as a first bike! I think that's insane.

I'm still very good at stalling, and there's always someone watching. When I'm riding smoothly there's no-one about.

Apparently the A697 Morpeth to Coldstream is one of the best bike routes in Britain, according to Ride magazine, I'll try it in the Summer.

Thanks for posting.

did Yamaha produce a dodgy one ! :unsure:

Thanks for the post, still stalling, and always when there's someone watching. Enjoying it though, and amazed at how nippy this 125 is. One of the kids I did cbt with planned to do the direct access and get an R6, as a first bike - !?!?

Hello and welcome from a newbie to the site and to riding i passed my test last July at the ripe old age of 46 too

Thanks for the post, still stalling, and always when there's someone watching. Enjoying it though, and amazed at how nippy this 125 is. One of the kids I did cbt with planned to do the direct access and get an R6, as a first bike - !?!?

Hi Bornard,

wait till you get a larger bike .... then you will know what 'nippy' is ... Doing DA may be a good thing but personally I think not ... when I took my bike test you could have any bike <250cc pass the the test & go out & buy a CBX, XS1100 or GS thou ..... correct me if I'm wrong but some one at work says that he passed a DA test and can ride unlimited cc/power (full A licence) which if this person is correct you could get off a 33 bhp bike (a 250 in my day) and jump onto an R1 with sheds of BHP the next day, where as the next stage up for me was perhaps an 80bhp 1000cc bike, so if this fella is correct the law has taken a backward step ... 33hp -> 150hp+ superbike.. unless you can tell me how it works

Regards Jim

Hello and welcome from a newbie to the site and to riding i passed my test last July at the ripe old age of 46 too

Hi YamiGirl,

Can I add a footnote ? nevermind here it is " i passed my test last July at the ripe old age of 46" should read "I passed my test last July at the young age of 46" :lol:

Regards Jim

If you want to change my posts into something better like that then you go ahead mate you have my permission :lol:

If you want to change my posts into something better like that then you go ahead mate you have my permission :lol:

Hi

Just give me the list of topics & I'll insert the required alterations ! :blink:

Regards Jim

:welcome: to the forum Bornard

1st petrol-powered ride? :blink: .....can't think of anything better than a Yamaha to take the plunge with. ;)

Just keep practicing mate......it only gets better. :thumb:

Hi Bornard,

wait till you get a larger bike .... then you will know what 'nippy' is ... Doing DA may be a good thing but personally I think not ... when I took my bike test you could have any bike <250cc pass the the test & go out & buy a CBX, XS1100 or GS thou ..... correct me if I'm wrong but some one at work says that he passed a DA test and can ride unlimited cc/power (full A licence) which if this person is correct you could get off a 33 bhp bike (a 250 in my day) and jump onto an R1 with sheds of BHP the next day, where as the next stage up for me was perhaps an 80bhp 1000cc bike, so if this fella is correct the law has taken a backward step ... 33hp -> 150hp+ superbike.. unless you can tell me how it works

Regards Jim

Hi Jim, in fact with the DA test it can be as dramatic as Push bike -> 300hp+ space shuttle with wheels type thing. New riders with a full A license are only limited by their budget. And with the Direct Access it means they can go from no experience whatsoever, take a test on the school's 500 and then go out and buy whatever they like. This is why I prefer the sound of the A2 test, 125 -> 33hp sounds better to me (some might say boring/soft but I didn't take up biking to end up wrapped around a tree)

You are as old as you feel. Yes I know there is another saying concerning a woman!!!!:P

Last year I set myself the project of passing my test before I was 60.

Did it last December with well over half a year to spare - got a XVS650 classic at the beginning of this month and lovin' it.

Enjoy yourself - life is not a rehearsal.

welcome bonard and peter c to the forum it is great to see older riders coming along and hearing about your experiences, i have been a biker since 1962 and until recent years have taken in forgranted, a couple of years ago i updated my licence for a photo licence and never checked it, it was only when stopped on a spot check i was informed by the cop that i was not allowed to ride a bike as dvlc had not put my entitlement on my new licence ,to cut a long story short they could not find any record of my test back in the sixties so i had to take the theory test .cbt and another test, so at the age of 61 with years of bad habits i did the lot and can now look back and see how much things had changed from being a spotty 16yr old who thought he knew it all to a older bloke who had forgot most of the basics.

enjoy your bikes and new experiences and have a ball, age is just a bunch of numbers, there are plenty of older bikers out there in there seventies and eighties and its amazing to see how they seem so young in there outlook.

welcome bonard and peter c to the forum it is great to see older riders coming along and hearing about your experiences, i have been a biker since 1962 and until recent years have taken in forgranted, a couple of years ago i updated my licence for a photo licence and never checked it, it was only when stopped on a spot check i was informed by the cop that i was not allowed to ride a bike as dvlc had not put my entitlement on my new licence ,to cut a long story short they could not find any record of my test back in the sixties so i had to take the theory test .cbt and another test, so at the age of 61 with years of bad habits i did the lot and can now look back and see how much things had changed from being a spotty 16yr old who thought he knew it all to a older bloke who had forgot most of the basics.

enjoy your bikes and new experiences and have a ball, age is just a bunch of numbers, there are plenty of older bikers out there in there seventies and eighties and its amazing to see how they seem so young in there outlook.

coo that was bad ... ok I was born in the early 60's/late 50's and the entitlement has always been there (test wasnt done till the mid 70's) but I can imagine you 'red book' licence owners lost the entitlement with the transfer from local control to the DVLA which would be a DVLA/local government issue rather than yours but I guess with the first green paper licence you should of perhaps noticed the lack of M/C !!!! which at the point could have been put right ... my brother had the same and noticed the m/c section was missing on the new 'green' licence and had it put back on with no need to retest.

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online