when to change Piston Rings on a dt125 r 2001

forshow
This post is 5511 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

Any idea when you need to change the piston rings on a dtr 125?

its got 8,176 on the clock and a friend said change them at 8,000 miles.

Last week i have noticed that she is struggling, so i have stopped riding her. (its killing me!!!)

Thank you

Jon

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

On my dt (newer type same engine) iv done over 12000miles and havnt touched the engine yet and still feels fine to me although now iv said that iv probly jinxed myself!

Hi guys,

Any idea when you need to change the piston rings on a dtr 125?

its got 8,176 on the clock and a friend said change them at 8,000 miles.

Last week i have noticed that she is struggling, so i have stopped riding her. (its killing me!!!)

Thank you

Jon

Tell your friend to take a long run off a short pier, you wont notice the loss of performance from some worn rings, take her out and give her (posh army voice) a damn good thrashing, like 10-15 mile blast on a motorway or such to really clear out the pipes. Take a look at my topic "Dt175 engine rebuild" and you will see just how knackerd the pistons can get and still run ok.

Honestly with decent oil and run properly you can expect 20thou before any real work. Save for decoke's. And if you give it a proper blast from time to time you can avoid them too.

My 250 two smoke is on its original bores and pistons/rings at 19000 miles and is running very strongly. Runs really well after a good thrash. Just let the bike warm up and be gentle with it until it is up to temp and it will be fun. Make sure you also use a decent quality two stroke oil. I use castrol tts.

• 2 weeks later...

same here i use castrol tts even though its £12 a litre its good for the engine plus i always use shell v-power as well witch i think is a good combination (fun more power lol/ and safer and better for engine) :D

same here i use castrol tts even though its £12 a litre its good for the engine plus i always use shell v-power as well witch i think is a good combination (fun more power lol/ and safer and better for engine) :D

Errrr, when you do a compression test and get 30 psi? lol...yeah if your not getting the power it may just need to be thrashed a bit to clear it :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online