Hard Starting Confusion.

kelpike
This post is 5512 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

When I try to start the bike, I have the choke on, it keeps starting for 2 to 3 seconds then stalls. This happens countless times, each time it seems like it will keep running. Eventually I keep doing this and continue to turn the choke off as the seconds increase or the idle seems higher. Touching the throttle at all will stall the bike. Then eventually it will run, and shortly after that the throttle can be used. The carbs were recently rebuilt and the manual says there is no fuel pump. What steps should I take to resolve this? Thanks for any suggestions.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My first check'd be on the air/fuel mixture.

When I try to start the bike, I have the choke on, it keeps starting for 2 to 3 seconds then stalls. This happens countless times, each time it seems like it will keep running. Eventually I keep doing this and continue to turn the choke off as the seconds increase or the idle seems higher. Touching the throttle at all will stall the bike. Then eventually it will run, and shortly after that the throttle can be used. The carbs were recently rebuilt and the manual says there is no fuel pump. What steps should I take to resolve this? Thanks for any suggestions.
Gedaymate! Just a thought. You say the carbies have been rebuilt and I assume the bike is running fine when you get it warmed up. That being the case, has the choke mechanism been reconnected properly. The fact that you can't rev it at all with the choke appearently on suggests that it may not even be connected or it is only being partially activated. I had a GS1000g some time back and the cable mechanism was faulty so I used to reach under the tank and operate the choke mechanism by hand. Hope this helps. Paul.

The choke appears to be working fine. My Clymer manual isn't very clear and I just ordered a Haynes. Until that comes in can someone explain or is there a website that explains how to do the adjust the different carb settings?

• 2 weeks later...

I turned the air/fuel mixture screws slightly one way until I did one complete turn of the screw. That did nothing, so I did the same thing but the opposite way. That still did nothing. So I did the same thing with the idle screw I think its called. Nothing seems to help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

do a compression check! alot of people say that once it starts compresion dosnt matter it builds up.... which is true but if your compression is low this is why it takes for ever to warm up and allow you to throttle also if the carb is rebuilt im guesseing its fine but i would still pull the carb off and give it a good cleaning that might be the problem. check that stuff out and let me know if it helped.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online