Solo circumnavigation of africa

spencerc
This post is 5543 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi-Thought you might be interested in looking at my website www.africa-bike-adventure.com as I am riding an XT.I will be leaving Kent on the 1st nov.Any bikers willing to brave the weather would be welcome to see me off to the coast.BBC and newspapers will be there so any support would be great

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

yeah right, you told me you were helping Rolf Harris move house ! :mellow:

Hi-Thought you might be interested in looking at my website www.africa-bike-adventure.com as I am riding an XT.I will be leaving Kent on the 1st nov.Any bikers willing to brave the weather would be welcome to see me off to the coast.BBC and newspapers will be there so any support would be great

Good luck to you, you really are gonna need it. Just the solo riding for so long can be a challange in itself, I know. How are you planning to get through Congo and DRC ? There are many who have failed and resorted to air transport to get across the volotile region.

What are you riding, a Z or a R ?? Your site shows a Z - I run mine over 8000 miles in 19 days last year, sticking to the European continent, but still it was a leap of faith for a new bike, found one or two problems with it but nothing unsumountable

You really should check out www.XT660.com , you'll find a whole raft of usefull information that will actually help you form bike prepairation to actually traversing the dark continent. there are members who have done the Europe to Captown trip on an XT, others who have a mountain of experience in long distance travel, and of course all the shortfalls of the XT (X, R or Z) are documented along with the solutions. It rivals HU in its knowledge base, and is purley an XT site.

Raising cash i& motorcycling sn't easy, if you've not found it already you are going to find out how obnoxious some people can be, others will amaze you with thier kindness and generosity. I would say that you need to make it clear on your site if you are funding this yourself, or if the travel costs are coming out of the raised funds. What most people don't realise is that is is legal and accepted (by the charities) for people to use the funds raised for expenses - but someone will use it as a reason, not only to refuse to help, but to activly chastise you. The most coined phrase "I'm not paying for your holiday" I know how difficult this type of thing can be, it's not the jolly that everyone thinks it is, and most people wouldn't make it past the first African border crossing, let alone there and back.

I presume you've read 'Red Tape and White Knuckles' by Lois Pryce ? Mondo Enduro, and of course Jupiters Travels, whilst Simon and Vince's books are a bit dated Lois Pryce was only a couple of years ago so is still pretty valuble.

Again, good luck to you.

Appologies if youve sucked all these eggs before ...... :lipseal:

Good luck to you, you really are gonna need it. Just the solo riding for so long can be a challange in itself, I know. How are you planning to get through Congo and DRC ? There are many who have failed and resorted to air transport to get across the volotile region.

What are you riding, a Z or a R ?? Your site shows a Z - I run mine over 8000 miles in 19 days last year, sticking to the European continent, but still it was a leap of faith for a new bike, found one or two problems with it but nothing unsumountable

You really should check out www.XT660.com , you'll find a whole raft of usefull information that will actually help you form bike prepairation to actually traversing the dark continent. there are members who have done the Europe to Captown trip on an XT, others who have a mountain of experience in long distance travel, and of course all the shortfalls of the XT (X, R or Z) are documented along with the solutions. It rivals HU in its knowledge base, and is purley an XT site.

Raising cash i& motorcycling sn't easy, if you've not found it already you are going to find out how obnoxious some people can be, others will amaze you with thier kindness and generosity. I would say that you need to make it clear on your site if you are funding this yourself, or if the travel costs are coming out of the raised funds. What most people don't realise is that is is legal and accepted (by the charities) for people to use the funds raised for expenses - but someone will use it as a reason, not only to refuse to help, but to activly chastise you. The most coined phrase "I'm not paying for your holiday" I know how difficult this type of thing can be, it's not the jolly that everyone thinks it is, and most people wouldn't make it past the first African border crossing, let alone there and back.

I presume you've read 'Red Tape and White Knuckles' by Lois Pryce ? Mondo Enduro, and of course Jupiters Travels, whilst Simon and Vince's books are a bit dated Lois Pryce was only a couple of years ago so is still pretty valuble.

Again, good luck to you.

Appologies if youve sucked all these eggs before ...... :lipseal:

I take all the advice on board-I have read all the above books. Yes its a Z.To answer your question I have raised the money to cover all the expenses by working like a dog-teaching and building work-getting sick of it now-want to get on the road.I have met some grim responses but thats life man!The donated money goes to Save the Children in UK and Africa.I tried to make it clear on the website the difference between "donating" and "sponsoring" but I will tweak that.

Thanks-comments are always helpful and welcome

Cheers

good luck to you mate!

i'd best start getting ready for my ireland trip in May... very small in comparison (about 1000 miles over two weeks), doing about 50 miles a day and most of the time camping by the roadside or in the cheapest B&B i can find.

just hope my trusty thrusty pocket rocket will get me there and back... :unsure:

keep us posted on how it goes :D

good luck to you mate!

i'd best start getting ready for my ireland trip in May... very small in comparison (about 1000 miles over two weeks), doing about 50 miles a day and most of the time camping by the roadside or in the cheapest B&B i can find.

just hope my trusty thrusty pocket rocket will get me there and back... :unsure:

keep us posted on how it goes :D

Cheers-sounds like a cool trip-Ive never been to Ireland-supposed to be very beautiful.Will keep you posted.Have a good trip

Best of Luck on your adventure Spenc.....

Wise choice of machinery if you ask me ;) ......

Thanks man.I,ve always been into Yamaha so I suppose you stick with what you feel good with.IT 175,IT200,XT250,XT500,,XT600,XT660 etc Im sure you spot a pattern apart from the odd Maico, Ossa,Montessa!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online