Welding a petrol tank

HoggyF
This post is 5542 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Whats the words of wisdom on welding a petrol tank?

I've drained it and left it with the top off overnight and think that this should be ok - anyone tried this before?? what did you do?

cheers boys

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You would be advised to rinse it thoroughly with something non-flammable such as soapy water (I find soapy water helps break down any petrol residue and reduces the risk of combustion).

I would also advise having a dry powder extinguisher nearby or a bucket of sand :D

por 15

merv

Hi

One of my mates used to connect the tank to car exhaust and run car engine push out the fumes and gases and old gases left in are neutral

another one says this :

, I wash the tanks out with parrafin to remove the petrol and keep it, then wash out with soap and water, now weld the tank, once welded fill the tank with your parrafin again to test it, don't use water as it won't search out any minute pin holes. I've been doing this for years without even the slightest pop or fizz, I hope this does help

Thanks guys

I've done it!

I used a combination of soapy water, then letting the argoshield frm the welder run into the tank for 5 minutes then waving the blowlamp over the filler hole (that makes your cheeks clench!) then welding it

typically my welder starting playing up so the weld wasn't as good as I'd like so just to be safe I skimmed it with chemical metal as well.

You would be advised to rinse it thoroughly with something non-flammable such as soapy water (I find soapy water helps break down any petrol residue and reduces the risk of combustion).

I would also advise having a dry powder extinguisher nearby or a bucket of sand :D

If you "get it wrong" neither the extinguisher nor the sand will help.

When petrol "burns" in a confined space it is so fast that it is called (and is) an explosion.

Anything flamable is gone in a flash (and a bang) and dependant on the circumstances and the amount of combustables within ----- it may take you, your garage and certainly your petrol tank with it.

If you can purge ut with an inert gas then care is still required and any "test" with a heat source / flame can be exactly as dramatic as the welding attempt itself if the "test" fails.

Worthy of consideation dependant on where / what part of the tank need welding is to fill it (or fill it as near as possible) with water and weld it with the water still in

Obviously you will need to prop it up / support it to leave only the area imediately near to the split empty / dry

If the area / seam that you need to weld will alow this water filling then AT LEAST you will have minimised the volume of remaining vapour.

And wear a decent cricket box ! :blink: