D-DAY

liquidcooled
This post is 7282 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

watching and hearing these old guys on telly this afternoon was very moving. it was amazing what they did, they deserve the highest respect and they are all true heros. it's a tragedy that so many died for the cause. r.i.p to them poor lads. war sucks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

What does the d in d-day stand for? Was it dunkirk or something :roll: :oops:

• Admin

What does the “D” in D-Day stand for?

The “D” does not stand for "Deliverance", "Doom", "Debarkation" or similar words. In fact, it does not stand for anything. The “D” is derived from the word "Day". “D-Day” means the day on which a military operation begins. The term "D-Day" has been used for many different operations, but it is now generally only used to refer to the Allied landings in Normandy on 6 June 1944.

Why was the expression "D-Day" used?

When a military operation is being planned, its actual date and time is not always known exactly. The term "D-Day" was therefore used to mean the date on which operations would begin, whenever that was to be. The day before D-Day was known as "D-1", while the day after D-Day was "D+1", and so on. This meant that if the projected date of an operation changed, all the dates in the plan did not also need to be changed. This actually happened in the case of the Normandy Landings. D-Day in Normandy was originally intended to be on 5 June 1944, but at the last minute bad weather delayed it until the following day. The armed forces also used the expression "H-Hour" for the time during the day at which operations were to begin.

http://www.ddaymuseum.co.uk/

Yea these guy's went through hell to fight for us, my mum get really quite tearfull when she's watching it, I even get a lump in my throat watching her watching them, it's a bloody shame!.

And to think these fuckin yung uns nowaday's that these guy's fought for break into their houses and beat them up, or beat them up on the streets for money for their fuckin drugs ect, it really makes my blood boil :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:.

I know my mum never had that much (probably like your own mum's n dad's) but they seemed to happier than us, cause it's all they knew.

I tell you this arshole Blair better get his fuckin arse together and sort this "cuntry" out, maybe years ago it was a "country" but not now!.

my mums boyfreind is right into it he has thousands of pound sworth of memrobelia from ww1 and ww2 and he puts on war reinactments for old folk and done a large show with a couple hundred of his mates the other day

war veterans have 100% respect from my family

And to think these fuckin yung uns nowaday's that these guy's fought for break into their houses and beat them up, or beat them up on the streets for money for their fuckin drugs ect, it really makes my blood boil  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:.

here here Axl..well put mate.

indeed, well put. it's the same in the town near where i live now. junkies everywhere :( useless bastards need shot. my poor gran and granda are scared at night and have the place locked up from 6 onwards :shock: they live in a decent area too it's just these little bastard hang around on the scrounge for whatever they can get. i stepped out of their house one day and one of the buggers was trying their car door, i chased him, he tripped up and i gave him the hardest kick in the side of the ribs that i could. it was a struggle to stop myself giving him a few more kicks :evil:

he tripped up and i gave him the hardest kick in the side of the ribs that i could. it was a struggle to stop myself giving him a few more kicks :evil:

Hey Liquidcooled........You didn't kick him hard enough mate, the fucker's still walking, if you see/catch him/them again, hospitalise him!!!!

• Admin

Yeah should have given him one kick for every member :twisted:

Yeah should have given him one kick for every member  :twisted:

I would have :wink:

i would have but my gran was shouting at me :lol:

did she want to get a few boots in :wink:

nah, i'd just chased the wrong person, in the heat of the moment i charged at her and gave her a kick :shock: :lol::lol: