1980 yamaha xs850 starter help

chris c
This post is 5586 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok

My starter will turn the engine about one turn real slow and then it wil stop of you keep on it it will turn again a and stop but it does it very slowly

i thought maybe the starter is dragging so i checked the voltage drop very little

if i kick it it starts on one turn

i know it will start if the starter will just turn a little faster

also what is making it stop and start again

thanks alot

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Usually 1 of 2 problems, of which are 1) ya battery is knackered or, 2) the brushes in the starter need replacing. There is a 3rd option of your reg/rectifier's shot but then only if you've got other electrical problems.

ok well i took it out and drove it about twenty miles

got back and about a hour later went to check the battery i decieded i would hit the starter

it cranked over like it should and it started

its really weird

i would think the battery too but its a brand new battery Dan

i checked the voltage it was at 13.9 volts

i have tried the starter before at the same volts and it was slow and kept stopping

started it four more times tonight and its cranking over right

i dont know what teh problem was but i hope its fixed

thanks alot

if anyone has any ideas of what it could have been or something i might need to do to keep it from doing it again

would be much appreciated

Have you tried a jump start when it is slow turning to see if extra voltage helps, if not you may need to clean starter gear etc, my honda thumpers are slow to turning over start after sitting for a few days but after a run they are much better and one has a new battery

merv

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online