New Member ..Hi All

JDS
This post is 5521 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Everbody...

I've been reading occasionally the various threads on this forum for a couple of weeks, but this is my first post, and I thought it was time I said hello ..

I've been looking at getting back into Yamaha's 2 strokes , as I used to have a 1983 Yamaha DT 175MX, many.. many.. many moons ago..

Recently felt like reviving my youth by buying another one.. However, when I think back to those days, the bike I really hankered for at the time was the DT400..

I’m now trying to find an original DT400 here in the UK, and as you all know they are hard to come by ..

I remembered reading a small article in MCN sometime ago about a company doing restorations on DT's somewhere up in the midlands or maybe Derbyshire, but I can't seem to find that article or their details on the net

I've been in touch with a nice chap called Clive who owns a cracking DT400, and recons they do come up from time to time for sale..

So can any of you guys help out and put me in the right direction or advise me on who to contact that may assist me in my quest..

Cheers

John

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi There Oldgitonabike...

Thanks to for the welcome... You appear to have a nice DT400 there mate.. There was one that recently came up for sale on Ebay in the Uxbridge Middx area, but I did find it until near the end of the listing, which didn't give me enough time to view the bike..

I thought the was a company up near your neck of the woods specializing in DT restorations.. Do you know of them ??

My fav DT400's are the early US models, especially the enduro version with the lower front mud guard and twin rear shocks.. I'm into Old School , and have a 1969 Bonnie

Hi There Oldgitonabike...

Thanks to for the welcome... You appear to have a nice DT400 there mate.. There was one that recently came up for sale on Ebay in the Uxbridge Middx area, but I did find it until near the end of the listing, which didn't give me enough time to view the bike..

I thought the was a company up near your neck of the woods specializing in DT restorations.. Do you know of them ??

I fav DT400's are the early US models, especially the enduro version with the lower front mud guard and twin rear shocks..

The link i sent WAS the uxbridge one :lol:

Mines a 175mx

The company youre looking for is Redrose, they have a website, its well worth contacting them yes.

Blackhat250 has one of them american 400's, he imported it, took best part of a year to get it though, have a look in gallery you might find it

The link i sent WAS the uxbridge one :lol:

Mines a 175mx

The company youre looking for is Redrose, they have a website, its well worth contacting them yes.

Blackhat250 has one of them american 400's, he imported it, took best part of a year to get it though, have a look in gallery you might find it

Wot ho :blink: ... Small World Hey ... I thought your DT looked like an 175MX, but I didn't want to say as I couldn't made out much detail in the picture, but I suppose the rear suspension should have been a big clue .. Doh !!

I didn't quite think that Uxbridge one was the real deal for me, and there appeared to be several parts not quite right about it, even though it was a nice bike and would make someone very happy to own it..

REDROSE... Yes... That's the guy's ... Cheers mate your a star..

I'll take a look at blackhat250 gallery, once I get the hang of this forum.. The American 400's are my first choice of the DT models, and the twin shock look and all those small extra bits of chrome really do it for me..

Thanks again mate!!!

Have had a butchers in Blackhat250's Gallery for some pixs, and it was empty..

Rang Dave at Redrose Retro's today and had a quick chat about what's cuurently available, and unfortunately Redrose are not buying any stock at the moment, due to the current financial climate ( which is totally understandable)..

I have emailed him my details, and hopefully one will turn up in the future and I can officially get onto the path of become a DT owner once again..

If anyone out there hears of a DT400B come on the for sale market, then please send me a PM..

Has anymore got any info and pictures of the various DT 400 models and versions..

Are there any good web sites to visit to get this info ???

Cheers for all you help so far..

THE QUEST CONTINUES B)

Has anymore got any info and pictures of the various DT 400 models and versions..

THE QUEST CONTINUES B) """ Hi there JDS ,, " My " well u couldnt have picked a scarser model to look for . :huh: twinshock that is ;

Lets start with the front mudgaurd [ low chrome] not on the DT400 . They all had high mounted fender .

Colour- UK/Europe >Black/white. introduced 1976.[for one year only] MX In 1977. thats why theyre rare.

Colour - USA./OZZ >Yellow/black/white. 1974 -1977 DT400B/C.

UK DT250. Same colour as USA 400 . but had the low fender in chrome. [this be the one u remember]

DT400s All had C.D.I. ignition. DT250s points .[early 250MX Also]

Now i will get some pics posted [ just been spanked fae O.G.O.A.B] Rather it was goff . i have lots of pics on computer

just have to paste them .. ;) i stand to be corrected on usa years [ twinshock]

THE QUEST CONTINUES B) """ Hi there JDS ,, " My " well u couldnt have picked a scarser model to look for . :huh: twinshock that is ;

Lets start with the front mudgaurd [ low chrome] not on the DT400 . They all had high mounted fender .

Colour- UK/Europe >Black/white. introduced 1976.[for one year only] MX In 1977. thats why there rare.

UK DT250. Same colour as USA 400 . but had the low fender in chrome. [this be the one u remember]

Now i will get some pics posted [ just been spanked fae O.G.O.A.B] Rather it was goff . i have lots of pics on computer

Hello Blackhat250..

Cheers for the info..

Is there somewhere I can find out some more details about the different models produced for the various World Markets..

Has someone written a Bible Book for the DT’s..????

Really would appreciate if you did find some time to bang over some pictures of some twin shock models.. If you want, I could PM you my email address

The way I see it is that if I’m going to get back into DT’s, I might as well go for the model I always dreamed of owning, ever since I bought my first DT 175..

The twin shock models may not have the handling performance of the mono-shock models, but as I’m not going to use it for any serious off roading, I might as well buy the model that most gets my rocks off..

PS: Now I know this is going to sound incredibly ignorant, but what does the abbreviation “just been spanked fae O.G.O.A.B “.. You have to cut me some slack, as I’m a newbie.

PS: Now I know this is going to sound incredibly ignorant, but what does the abbreviation “just been spanked fae O.G.O.A.B “.. You have to cut me some slack, as I’m a newbie.

He's just saying i asked him to put some pics up ;)

Forum member 'Twinshock' is a mine of info on DT's and we have some nice ones in Oz too that have been posted recently

Has someone written a Bible Book for the DT’s..????------------------------------------------------

Right then here goes .. some pics . [and by the wayJDS.] GO TO THE THREAD ANY FANS OF THE OLD dt"s think its in CLASSICS>>Yamaha_DT400_sales_3.jpg

006.jpg

Yamaha_DT400B42.jpg

bikes019.jpg

HOPE THIS IS ENUFF FOR NOW .. ;)

He's just saying i asked him to put some pics up ;)

Forum member 'Twinshock' is a mine of info on DT's and we have some nice ones in Oz too that have been posted recently

ahem "" u musta edited this :unsure: and JGS. incase you havna noticed O/G. & Goff are MODS[ Parka"s and all]

if u need technical data twinshock &DTking are schooled.. ;)

Guest Dynamightwright

hi mate try this http://www.redrose-retrobikes.co.uk these will get you one and can spek it how you like at a cost, me myself have x 2 dt175mx 1980 one white in showroom condition one red good nick with 800 miles and full service history with tax discs to prove

Alan from Cardiff

Thanks for those pictures and advise.. Its much appreciated..

I'm beginning to get a bit more knowledgeable about this forums communication and more importantly DT’s..

The picture of the orange coloured DT is a 1976 DT400B in non standard Portuguese Orange which was only available on the 250 version…

Hey… impressed..Your not… :o:( Alright then …

I found that Orange coloured 400 during a Google search, and managed to email its original owner a nice chap called Clive, who apparently has got a show winning DT.. I’ve asked him to consider me if he ever wants to sell it.. ;)

I prefer the 400’s and my preferred choice would have to be the Black & White version..

However, saying that the Orange on DT 250 is a stunning colour and is without doubt my favourite.

Cheers Alan for the web link..

I’ve already been in contact with Dave at Redrose and we’ve had a quick chat and are in email communication. Dave is going to keep an eye out for me, and hopefully with all his contacts a pucker DT will turn up for sale, and I’ll have a new 2 stroke stead to play with by next summer

and I’ll have a new 2 stroke stead to play with by next summer

Aha----- i said that also [Jan 2008] and it took till october to land one. Missed the summer :(

You will be surprised how scarse the DT400 [Twinshock ] is .... most "here" [uK] have been butchered [field-biked]

Take alook at this . it is forum member Chrisp" He got on ebay last year ......DSCN0682.jpg

The tank colour is [was] off the DT 125. FOR THE CONNISEURS of the DTs.

and I’ll have a new 2 stroke stead to play with by next summer

Aha----- i said that also [Jan 2008] and it took till october to land one. Missed the summer :(

You will be surprised how scarse the DT400 [Twinshock ] is .... most "here" [uK] have been butchered [field-biked]

Take alook at this . it is forum member Chrisp" He got on ebay last year ......DSCN0682.jpg

The tank colour is [was] off the DT 125. FOR THE CONNISEURS of the DTs.

I know about how frustrating it can get when it comes to bike restoration..

I’ve been doing late 1960 Triumph Bonnies for 25 years, and finding some of the NOS parts for those is like trying to find a pair of breeding Dodo’s..

That example Chrisp got off ebay looks like a decent enough starting point for a restoration job..

I’ve imported TT 120’s back from the States, which came over just as a matching Frame and Crank cases, and then spent 6 years finding all the original NOS bits and bobs.. If you ever go to the NEC British Bike museum, their 1967 TT120 was one I supplied..

I’m getting to old for all this hunting around for the right nut & bolt, I rather buy a concourse bike that someone has already done, or get someone like Dave at Redrose to restore an example like the one you posted, upto show condition..

All I have to do then is enjoy the bike and keep it in show condition for others as a reference example of the marquee..

It just takes time and patience to find the right bike, and I don't mind waiting..

What I appreciate is all you guys giving me advise, as I'm a complete newbie in this field..

AHEM :D

The picture of the orange coloured DT is a 1976 DT400B in non standard Portuguese Orange which was only available on the 250 version…

However, saying that the Orange on DT 250 is a stunning colour and is without doubt my favourite

This would be that DT400 IN DT250 Attire..[ note the fork bottoms have the bracket holes for the low chrome fender]

And the rear indicators are short stem"d [ am not being picky is gorgeous] :rolleyes:Yamaha_DT400B-standard-2.jpg

AHEM :D

However, saying that the Orange on DT 250 is a stunning colour and is without doubt my favourite

This would be that DT400 IN DT250 Attire..[ note the fork bottoms have the bracket holes for the low chrome fender]

And the rear indicators are short stem"d [ am not being picky is gorgeous] :rolleyes:Yamaha_DT400B-standard-2.jpg

Stunning isn't it B)

Colour- UK/Europe >Black/white. introduced 1976.[for one year only] MX In 1977. thats why there rare.

Blackhat 250, you are good on the years except there was no DT 400 in 1974. The 1974 model was a 360 and it is green.

Hi Everbody...

I've been reading occasionally the various threads on this forum for a couple of weeks, but this is my first post, and I thought it was time I said hello ..

I've been looking at getting back into Yamaha's 2 strokes , as I used to have a 1983 Yamaha DT 175MX, many.. many.. many moons ago..

Recently felt like reviving my youth by buying another one.. However, when I think back to those days, the bike I really hankered for at the time was the DT400..

I’m now trying to find an original DT400 here in the UK, and as you all know they are hard to come by ..

I remembered reading a small article in MCN sometime ago about a company doing restorations on DT's somewhere up in the midlands or maybe Derbyshire, but I can't seem to find that article or their details on the net

I've been in touch with a nice chap called Clive who owns a cracking DT400, and recons they do come up from time to time for sale..

So can any of you guys help out and put me in the right direction or advise me on who to contact that may assist me in my quest..

Cheers

John

I have your bike if you want get it from the US. 100% complete restoration will full documentation with pictures and detail of step by step procedures including the complete engine rebuild. Not cheap however.