New Member ..Hi All

JDS
This post is 5524 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have your bike if you want get it from the US. 100% complete restoration will full documentation with pictures and detail of step by step procedures including the complete engine rebuild. Not cheap however.

PM sent

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

100% complete restoration will full documentation with pictures and detail of step by step procedures including the complete engine rebuild.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ AH" :) twinshock ... post some pics on here ?? from sart to finish ... be interesting to see :rolleyes:

Blackhat 250 .. Have sent you a PM :)

Thats my DT400 with the white tank (from a 250). 400's do come up from time to time, i have seen only 2 in the past year that were in decent nick. These bikes are now as rare as hen's teeth.

I'm currently busy with a US spec '73 dt250, and once i've done that i will begin work on the 400. I bought it (the 400) off ebay for £500, and have probably spent as much again on parts. Some bits are non existent or hard to find, so get a complete bike if you can.

I'll expect to get the bike on the road for about £2500 i should think.

Also join the VJMC and get the stafford shows, something always there!!

good luck

Chris

Just a quick observation about the debate on the close fitting front mudguard.

According to my parts book, the DT400 and no doubt the 250 too models for Norway and Sweden had the close fitting mudguard. (i'm talking about the 512/513 bikes here)

The front forks are different, though (different part number, off a DT175 i think)

So it's possible to do, though not quite correct for the UK market.

Chris.

Thats my DT400 with the white tank (from a 250). 400's do come up from time to time, i have seen only 2 in the past year that were in decent nick. These bikes are now as rare as hen's teeth.

I'm currently busy with a US spec '73 dt250, and once i've done that i will begin work on the 400. I bought it (the 400) off ebay for £500, and have probably spent as much again on parts. Some bits are non existent or hard to find, so get a complete bike if you can.

good luck

Chris

Hi Chris..

Thanks for your post.. I'm very interested in what you have written about your current restoration project, and I would defo like to discuss a few things further with yourself, if that's okay with you..

I'm away from my home PC at the moment, and I also need to respond back to Twin Shock, as he was kind enough too send me some pics of his DT400 ( Wow... what an example)...

I've only used my works Laptop to get my emails, and have noticed that you guys have posted on this thread...

Please give me few days to get back home and onto my own PC, as work will kill me if they find out I'm using their PC for this purpose..

You DT guys really know your stuff, and I'm glad I've registered on here before diving in head first to buy a DT..

Cheers Guys

PS: Chris I used to belong to the VJMC, and I still do the Festival of 1000 Bikes at Mallory Park on my mates Ex-Percy Tait Triumph T00C 500cc...

Haven't been to the Old Stafford show for some 4 years, when I stopped restoring old Triumphs.. It got to the point when every year the same old shagged out and rusty British bike spares would be up for sale by the same traders.. I suppose its different when it comes down to the Japanese stuff, but as I'm looking for early Jap stuff I bet it's going to be the same deal..

This is why I'm not looking into getting a rstoration project, but more a 100% original bike with tons of patina or an already restored bike..

good luck

Chris

Hi Chris..

PM sent..

Cheers Mate

JDS

• 2 months later...

Hi JDS,

Good luck with your search. I too looked long and hard for a DT400. Found one on ebay early one morning and was happy to pay the 1K "Buy now" price. Last on I saw in Oz went for over 7k, restored. As an aside I saw a NOS high front mudguard which went for 300 hundred au. A bit rich for me, but in hindsight....

Here's some of mine.

DSCF4904.jpg

Hi JDS,

Good luck with your search. I too looked long and hard for a DT400. Found one on ebay early one morning and was happy to pay the 1K "Buy now" price. Last on I saw in Oz went for over 7k, restored. As an aside I saw a NOS high front mudguard which went for 300 hundred au. A bit rich for me, but in hindsight....

Here's some of mine.

DSCF4904.jpg

Hey Vudu..

Thanks for those kind words of encouragement.. You have a nice pair of Yams ( and no that is not some rude euphemism for something else).. That cracking DT250 in Portuguese orange looks stunning.. That is my favourite colour and spec of all the DT’s, but I do like the power of a 400.. Cheers for posing the pictures..

My personal circumstances have recently changed, and my quest for a mint DT400 twin shock has had to take a very back seat priority.. Maybe, later on when I get my stuff back together, I can resume my search..

I want to thank all you Forum guys out there for all that invaluable infor and helpful advise you’ve shared with me, and it was very kind of you guys posting up pictures of your Pride and Joys..

Thank you all very much

JDS